Mexican Shrimp Cocktail, otherwise known as Cóctel de Camarónes, doesn’t resemble an American shrimp cocktail at all. This version is almost like a “salad in a glass!” It’s chock full of crunchy vegetables and shrimp in a spicy, tangy tomato sauce.
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail is almost like a “salad in a glass,” chock full of crunchy vegetables and shrimp in a spicy, tangy tomato sauce. What’s not to love?
But first…..Rick Bayless…..I love you and you’re my go-to man for Mexican recipes. You made my mouth water when I watched you prepare this classic Mexican beachside treat in the gorgeous “Panna” app on my iPad.
So now, Cinco de Mayo is rolling around and I’m getting into the Mexican food mood. I made your app recipe which calls for combining one cup ketchup and one cup PLUS two tablespoons lime juice. I hate to tell you and the producers of the app this, but that’s some serious lime juice and acid happening.
Now, I was nervous about using ketchup to begin with, but the combination of the ketchup and the excessive amount of lime juice is almost unpalatable in that recipe.
It’s okay, Rick, everyone makes mistakes. Thankfully, I have your cookbook, Fiesta at Rick’s, Fabulous Food for Great Times with Friends to fall back on and the combination of ketchup, clam juice and lime juice in your cookbook recipe makes wayyy more sense.
And honestly, how many Mexican shrimp cocktail recipes does a person really need?
Just a good one and here it is! A combination of both recipes!
You could use purchased cooked shrimp, however, cooking your own will give you better flavor and texture. I’m also a stickler for using American wild-caught shrimp in all of my shrimp dishes. None of that funky farmed stuff for me!
Do try to use fresh lime juice whenever possible! The flavor is far superior to anything sold “from concentrate.”
I’m an onion-lover from way back, but it can be on the strong side for many people. Rick provides a great tip in the Panna app for removing some of the bite. After chopping the onion, place in a sieve and rinse it briefly under cold running water.
Thank you, hope you enjoy and please share this From A Chef’s Kitchen reader favorite!
For more great, easy shrimp appetizer recipes, be sure to try my:
- Shrimp Cakes with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Mayonnaise
- Creamy Shrimp Salsa Dip
- Shrimp in Avocado Butter
Helpful tools and equipment to make Mexican Shrimp Cocktail (Affiliate Links):
- 1 medium white onion
- 6 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed except for 6 to go on top as garnish
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup clam juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lime juice (or to taste)
- Mexican hot sauce, to taste
- 1/2 small jicama, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 large English cucumber, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro, loosely packed
- lime wedges, for serving
- cilantro sprigs, for serving
- Cut onion in half. Dice half and cut the other half into large chunks. Place diced onion in a sieve and run under cold running water; drain.
- Fill a saucepan with water. Add onion chunks, garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Add shrimp, turn off heat and let sit 1 minute or until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Drain and let shrimp cool. Discard onion and garlic.
- Combine ketchup, clam juice, lime juice and hot sauce.
- In another bowl, combine cooled shrimp, diced onion, jicama, cucumber, avocado and cilantro.
- Pour dressing over shrimp and vegetable combination, toss to coat.
- Serve in large, wide-rimmed glasses with a shrimp on top. Garnish with a lime wedge and cilantro springs.
MAKE AHEAD: Cook shrimp, cool and refrigerate. Dice cucumber, jicama and onion and combine in a bowl and refrigerate. Combine sauce ingredients and refrigerate. When ready to serve, dice avocado, combine with remaining ingredients, portion into serving glasses, garnish and serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 263 Total Fat 11g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 160mg Sodium 3198mg Carbohydrates 24g Fiber 7g Sugar 9g Protein 20g