Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs Barbacoa are tender, succulent, spicy and delicious! Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice is the perfect accompaniment!
It’s mid-April so I thought I was done with my slow cooker and slow braising for the year. However, the weather here made me think otherwise. Last Sunday was ridiculously cold and windy! Winter was having it’s last hurrah so I took the opportunity to make one of my all-time favorite things in life… Beef short ribs!
Beef short ribs may look hunky and clunky, however, with a little time they are transformed into something buttery and meltingly tender. Here’s more information on short ribs: What are Short Ribs? A slow braise is the perfect way to transform them and it’s one of my favorite cooking methods whether it’s in a slow cooker or in the oven.
I know what you’re thinking. You’re wondering why I wouldn’t just use an Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker so they’re done in 30 minutes? I know all about Instant Pots and electric pressure cookers because I use them frequently in my personal chef business. I also have not felt moved to jump on the Instant Pot bandwagon because everyone else has.
Use an electric pressure cooker for these Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs Barbacoa if you’d like. However, I think meat done in a pressure cooker tastes “forced.” Flavor is developed over time and the connective tissue in cuts like beef short ribs needs time to break down.
Just look at these beauties from the slow-cooker!
For a dish such as this, I like to preheat my slow cooker. I get all the liquid ingredients, herbs and spices in the slow cooker, then turn it to the temperature I’ll be cooking the dish at while I’m browning the ribs. When you’re ready to place the lid on the slow cooker, then reset the timer to four or eight hours if using one that’s digital.
Mwwaaaahhh! Serve them whole with the Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice or….
…remove it from the bones and shred the meat.
I don’t do cauliflower rice on the stovetop anymore because it’s difficult to cook evenly and then it overcooks quickly. Roasting it in the oven is the perfect way! Place the cauliflower in the oven when the beef short ribs are finished.
Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs Barbacoa are perfect for tacos, too!
Want more amazing beef short rib recipes? Try my:
- Cabernet Braised Beef Short Ribs with Cauliflower Leek Puree
- Korean Braised Beef Short Ribs
- Stout Braised Beef Short Ribs and Colcannon
Tools and Special Ingredients for Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs Barbacoa
- SHORT RIBS
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can (10-ounce) tomato puree
- 4 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped plus as much adobo sauce as you can get from the can (a 7-ounce can)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 6 beef short ribs (4-5 pounds, long cut)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 12 cloves garlic, sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Chopped fresh cilantro and sprigs for garnish
- CAULIFLOWER RICE
- 2 (1-pound) bags cauliflower pearls
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large lime, juiced (2 tablespoons)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- SHORT RIBS: Combine first 9 ingredients in a slow cooker. Set slow cooker on High (4 hours) or Low (8 hours), depending upon your preferred cooking time to preheat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Season short ribs generously with salt and black pepper. Brown well on all sides. Place in slow cooker.
- Place onion in the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook the onion for 3 to 4 minutes to soften and get the browned bits off the pan. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds or just until fragrant. Transfer to slow cooker. Cover and cook 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low.
- Remove 1 cup of the liquid and let cool slightly. Add the cornstarch and stir until smooth. Add it back to the slow cooker and let slow cooker continue cooking on High for several minutes to thicken. (Sauce will thicken more upon standing.)
- CAULIFLOWER RICE: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place cauliflower on a large baking sheet. Stir in garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Roast for 10 to 12 minutes or to desired doneness. Stir in cilantro.
Amount Per Serving Calories 578Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 99mgSodium 854mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 7gSugar 12gProtein 33g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.