Here’s all you need to know about how to cook riced cauliflower in the oven! If you’re disappointed with how it comes out on the stovetop, this quick oven method is your answer! Read on to get tips for seasoning it, too.
Why This Recipe is a Keeper!
The first time I made cauliflower rice was on the stovetop and I was not happy with the result. Cooking anything on the stovetop does not allow for even heating without stirring or turning. That can result in some of the cauliflower rice being overcooked leaving some undercooked.
I hand-grated the cauliflower to make the “grains” because I knew making it in a food processor could result in overprocessed, uneven “grains. Cauliflower has a 92% water content which is identical to watermelon (according to Healthline.com) which can also be a problem when cooking it on the stovetop.
I swore off making it but then “riced cauliflower” began showing up in produce departments. I never buy prepped or pre-cut fruits and vegetables but riced cauliflower is an exception because it’s a good, convenient alternative to hand-grating or pulling out the food processor. Pound for pound, it’s about the same price.
I LOVE roasted cauliflower so decided I’d cook the riced cauliflower in the oven instead. Cauliflower rice success!!
How to Cook Riced Cauliflower in the Oven:
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this recipe along with how to prep. See the cauliflower rice recipe card below for the exact quantities.
- Cauliflower: Convenient “riced” cauliflower (also called “pearls”) is readily available in the produce section now so no need to make your own if you don’t want to. However, if you do want to make it yourself, I highly recommend grating it rather than making it in a food processor. You’ll have “grains” that are more similarly sized than if you make it in a food processor.
- Various Seasonings: Just like with plain white rice, the sky is the limit with seasonings. Simply prepared cauliflower rice with just salt and black pepper is delicious, but season it to pair with what you’re serving:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a 15 x 10-inch baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil.
- Spread the cauliflower “pearls” out in an even layer.
- Season it with salt and black pepper or season as desired with a spice blend.
- Roast for 12 minutes.
- That’s all there is to how to cook riced cauliflower!
- Simply seasoned and perfectly cooked that still has that “al dente” bite you want from conventional rice ready to pair with anything!
- Or, seasoned any way you like it!
- Try it seasoned with Cajun spices for my red beans and rice recipe!
Chef Tips and Tricks:
- Less oil is always better so use a light hand with it because it can cause your cauliflower rice to be soggy. You may think you don’t have enough oil, but that’s where nonstick aluminum foil comes in very handy.
- No nonstick aluminum foil? Use regular aluminum foil and spray it with cooking spray.
- If you want to shave some time off, roast at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions:
No, you don’t have to but clean-up will be so much easier. If the baking sheet is lined, you can pick the aluminum foil up and easily pour it into a serving bowl or storage container.
If you don’t want to use aluminum foil, you can use parchment paper. However, I have found riced cauliflower roasted on parchment paper to be “wetter” than when roasted on aluminum foil. The parchment paper absorbs some of the water from the rice, but the rice sits in that moisture while in the oven.
Cauliflower rice tastes the best freshly roasted. You can make it ahead of time, but no more than a day in advance. You’ll want to reduce the roasting time by 2 minutes or so. Reheat it in the microwave.
Don’t miss these riced cauliflower, cauliflower grits and tabouli recipes:
- Roasted Riced Vegetables with Garlic and Parmesan
- Cauliflower Artichoke Tabbouleh
- Cauliflower Tabouli with Lemon Tahini Dressing and Feta Cheese
- Low-Carb Jambalaya with Chicken, Sausage and Shrimp
- Cauliflower Grits with Gouda Cheese and Blackened Shrimp
More great cauliflower recipes!
Get all my vegetable side dish recipes here! Vegetable Side Dish Recipes – From A Chef’s Kitchen
Join the FROM A CHEF’S KITCHEN MAILING LIST to get all the latest posts and more!
How to Cook Riced Cauliflower in the Oven
- 2 bags (each 1-pound) riced cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil - or other oil such as canola or vegetable
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley - optional
1 Tablespoon Seasoning of Choice
- Curry powder
- Cajun or Creole seasoning
- Mexican-style seasoning such as taco or other seasoning blend
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line 2 15 x 10-inch baking sheets with nonstick aluminum foil.
- Place the riced cauliflower on the lined baking sheets.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil on each of the baking sheets. Season each baking sheet of riced cauliflower to taste with salt and black pepper.
- TO THE SECOND SHEET PAN, season to taste with seasoning of choice: Curry powder, Cajun or Creole seasoning or Mexican-style seasoning–whichever one goes with what you're serving it with.
- Place in the oven and roast for 12 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning if desired. Garnish the plain cauliflower rice with chopped fresh parsley
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you’re using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.