Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Mustard Caper Brown Butter takes cauliflower to another level. Cauliflower is beautiful in so many ways, but when roasted and drizzled with this Mustard Caper Brown Butter, it skyrockets to elegant and dramatic!
Inspired by a Saveur recipe, this Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Mustard Caper Browned Butter was a big hit recently with a diabetic client. When one of my clients raves about something, I get pretty excited to share it with you.
There’s no going back to preparing cauliflower any other way once you have tried it roasted. Cauliflower can be pretty bland steamed or boiled. However, roasting transforms cauliflower into something truly remarkable!
How to make Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Mustard Caper Brown Butter:
For this recipe, you’ll need to cut the head of cauliflower into large florets or into “steaks.” With “steaks,” you will have the gorgeous caramelization on two sides and this lovely Mustard Caper Brown Butter will touch every delicious part of the cauliflower.
- Cut the head in half down the center from the top down.
- Then, work your way out cutting every ¾ of an inch or so.
- If the end pieces fall apart, no worries! Simply roast them alongside the steaks and scatter them around on the platter.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper….
- Then roast, turning once so you get beautiful caramelization on both sides!
Tips for browning butter:
Browning butter takes a little practice. It can go from zero to burned–quickly. However, when done correctly, it’s a flavor you’ll fall in love with! Brown butter is simply butter that is cooked until it browns. Here are a few tips.
- Start with unsalted butter. Place in a saucepan and bring it to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and let it cook a bit. It may appear nothing is happening, but water in the butter is being cooked off.
- The butter will change color to a light golden brown and you’ll begin to see browned bits forming at the bottom of the pan. These are milk solids which you want to leave behind.
- To do that, let the finished butter rest a little so the milk solids fall to the bottom. Then, pour the finished brown butter into a bowl very slowly.
- There are numerous tutorials online; here’s just one: How to Make Perfect Brown Butter
You need this brown butter in your life! This mustard caper brown butter would also be amazing with fish–especially salmon!
More cauliflower recipes you’ll love!
- Cauliflower Parmigiana
- Cauliflower Welsh Rarebit
- Sicilian Cauliflower Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower with Black Olive Pangrattato
- Cauliflower Artichoke Tabbouleh
- Warm Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpea Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower and Barley Pilaf
Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Mustard Caper Brown Butter
- 1 large head cauliflower - cut into "steaks" or large florets
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil - as needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons capers - drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place cauliflower florets or steaks on a non-stick baking sheet or one lined with non-stick aluminum foil.
- Drizzle or brush cauliflower with olive oil and season generously with salt and black pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes, turning once.
- Place butter in a saucepan and melt over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until a caramel color, approximately 5 minutes, being careful not to burn it.
- Set aside to let browned bits (milk solids) fall to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in garlic, mustard, capers, chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over roasted cauliflower and serve immediately.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.