Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Mustard Caper Brown Butter takes cauliflower to another level. Cauliflower is beautiful in so many ways, but when roasted and drizzled with this Mustard Caper Brown Butter, it skyrockets to elegant and dramatic!
Inspired by a Saveur recipe, this Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Mustard Caper Browned Butter was a big hit recently with a diabetic client. When one of my clients raves about something, I get pretty excited to share it with you.
Cauliflower is an “it” vegetable right now and cauliflower is being used in some super-creative ways:
There’s no going back to preparing cauliflower any other way once you have tried it roasted. Cauliflower can be pretty bland steamed or boiled. However, roasting transforms cauliflower into something truly remarkable!
How to make Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Mustard Caper Brown Butter:
For this recipe, you’ll need to cut the head of cauliflower into large florets or into “steaks.” With “steaks,” you will have the gorgeous caramelization on two sides and this lovely Mustard Caper Brown Butter will touch every delicious part of the cauliflower.
- Cut the head in half down the center from the top down.
- Then, work your way out cutting every 3/4 of an inch or so.
- If the end pieces fall apart, no worries! Simply roast them alongside the steaks and scatter them around on the platter.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper….
- Then roast, turning once so you get beautiful caramelization on both sides!
Tips for browning butter:
Browning butter takes a little practice. It can go from zero to burned–quickly. However, when done correctly, it’s a flavor you’ll fall in love with! Brown butter is simply butter that is cooked until it browns. Here are a few tips.
- Start with unsalted butter. Place in a saucepan and bring it to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and let it cook a bit. It may appear nothing is happening, but water in the butter is being cooked off.
- The butter will change color to a light golden brown and you’ll begin to see browned bits forming at the bottom of the pan. These are milk solids which you want to leave behind.
- To do that, let the finished butter rest a little so the milk solids fall to the bottom. Then, pour the finished brown butter into a bowl very slowly.
- There are numerous tutorials online; here’s just one: How to Make Perfect Brown Butter
You need this brown butter in your life! This mustard caper brown butter would also be amazing with fish–especially salmon!
Cauliflower Artichoke Tabbouleh
Cauliflower Artichoke Tabbouleh is a healthier, lower carb twist on traditional tabbouleh! With lots of fresh herbs, lively lemon juice and artichokes, it's perfect for spring!
Cauliflower Parmigiana is a vegetarian twist on Chicken Parmigiana, the classic Italian - American dish. It's light, healthy, easy and perfect for that first al fresco dinner on the patio!
Cauliflower White Bean Puree
Cauliflower White Bean Puree is the perfect stand-in for decadent mashed potatoes! Cream cheese makes it creamy while white beans add that touch of thickening and body you crave in a mashed potato substitute while keeping it low-carb!
Cauliflower Antipasto Salad
Cauliflower Antipasto Salad is easy summertime fare that’s light, crunchy, crazy flavorful and perfect for feeding a crowd!
Cauliflower Welsh Rarebit
Cauliflower Welsh Rarebit is how to turn cauliflower into an easy, cheesy beer-infused lower-carb comforting meatless meal!
Roasted Cauliflower with Black Olive Pangrattato
Roasted Cauliflower with Black Olive Pangrattato is how to take roasted cauliflower to another level! The topping has salty kalamata olives, lemon zest, chili flakes and crispy breadcrumbs for a delicious rustic Italian side dish!
Helpful tools and equipment to make Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Mustard Caper Brown Butter (Affiliate Links):
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into "steaks" or large florets
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil (as needed)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- MUSTARD CAPER BROWNED BUTTER
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- CAULIFLOWER: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place cauliflower florets or steaks on a non-stick baking sheet or one lined with non-stick aluminum foil.
- Drizzle or brush cauliflower with olive oil and season generously with salt and black pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes, turning once.
- BROWN BUTTER: Place butter in a saucepan and melt over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until a caramel color, approximately 5 minutes, being careful not to burn it.
- Set aside to let browned bits (milk solids) fall to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in garlic, mustard, capers, chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over roasted cauliflower and serve immediately.
MAKE AHEAD: Butter can be made up to 24 hours ahead. Cool and refrigerate. Gently reheat in a saucepan over low heat.
Amount Per Serving Calories 592 Total Fat 51g Saturated Fat 22g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 25g Cholesterol 122mg Sodium 507mg Carbohydrates 16g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 9g Sugar 8g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 22g