Vietnamese Beef Lettuce Wraps with Rice Noodles and Cucumber Relish are a fun, festive and healthful summertime dinner for two.
Spicy beef fills these Vietnamese-inspired wraps along with lots of fresh, crunchy vegetables. The lettuce wraps are accompanied by a sweet-sour cucumber relish, rice noodles, fresh basil and cilantro, peanuts and a tangy soy-lime dipping sauce for a super flavorful summertime dinner!
Now, you may look at this recipe and say “Whoa, that’s going to take me all day!” However, it comes together fairly quickly. Because of the separate components, you and your loved one can easily share in the preparation.
All the elements for a satisfying meal are here: Protein, lots of fresh, crunchy vegetables and starch in the form of rice noodles so no extra sides are needed. Rice noodles cook extremely fast and you can purchase the shredded carrots.
Tips for handling fresh ginger:
There’s quite a bit of fresh ginger in this dish. I’ve found grating ginger to be wasteful and time-consuming because so much can stay on the grater.
Instead, I like to peel and coarsely chop it, then process in a mini food processor with just enough water to create a puree. The resulting puree is similar to prepared ginger products that are available in the produce section. If you do it yourself using this method, you don’t have all the additives and it’s so much less expensive. If you make too much puree, freeze the excess in a snack-size zipper-top bag or other small plastic containers.
The filling for these lettuce wraps can also be made with tofu, ground chicken, turkey or pork.
Using wheat-free tamari or coconut aminos in place of soy sauce will make the beef lettuce wraps entirely gluten-free.
I make these wraps a lot for families with children. Kids LOVE to play with their food and these wraps are great finger food they’ll love. Enjoy!
Thai Beef Lettuce Wraps with Mint Dressing and Vegetable Slaw
Thai Beef Lettuce Wraps with Mint Dressing and Vegetable Slaw is full of fresh, crunchy vegetables and lively herbs! It's the perfect meal to make when the mint hits the fan!
Vegan Korean Tofu Lettuce Wraps with Tahini Gochujang Sauce and Spicy Slaw
Vegan Korean Tofu Lettuce Wraps with Tahini Gochujang Sauce and Spicy Slaw are the fun, flavorful and healthful way to get your Korean food fix!
Turkish Turkey Meatball Lettuce Wraps with Tzatziki
Turkish Turkey Meatball Lettuce Wraps with Tzatziki are healthful, light, easy, fun and so flavorful! It's the perfect summer dinner full of fresh ingredients!
Helpful tools and equipment to make Vietnamese Beef Lettuce Wraps with Rice Noodles and Cucumber Relish (Affiliate Links)
- DIPPING SAUCE
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- CUCUMBER RELISH
- 1 English (hothouse) cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 scallions, white and light green part only, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- LETTUCE AND TOPPINGS
- 6 large leaves Boston lettuce
- 1 sprig fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 ounce rice noodles, prepared per package instructions and drained well
- 1/2 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
- lime wedges
- DIPPING SAUCE: Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Divide into small bowls for each diner.
- FILLING: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and ginger 4-5 minutes or until softened
- Add garlic and beef. Cook 4-5 minutes or until beef is browned and no longer pink, crumbling the beef into small pieces as you go. Drain well.
- Stir in remaining filling ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally or until almost evaporated.
- CUCUMBER RELISH: Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- TO ASSEMBLE LETTUCE AND TOPPING: Spoon meat mixture onto lettuce leaves, top with basil, carrots, rice noodles, peanuts and lime wedges as desired. Roll up and serve with dipping sauce.
Amount Per Serving Calories 972 Total Fat 54g Saturated Fat 13g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 35g Cholesterol 184mg Sodium 4619mg Carbohydrates 50g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 10g Sugar 21g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 75g