Spicy Indonesian Vegan Carrot Almond Soup is healthful, exotic and easy to make. It’s the perfect starter for any meal or a light vegan meal in itself!
Hey, all! Remember me? I’ve been somewhat AWOL from my kitchen the past couple of weeks because I went to a food blogger’s conference. It’s always nice to get away but I’m sure you know how crazy it is before you leave. Then, when you get home, it’s crazy all over again having to catch up!
At the conference, I indulged a little too much. Now that I’m back, I’m trying to get back to a healthier way of eating. I was craving something super healthful and nourishing after getting back from the conference.
This Spicy Indonesian Vegan Carrot Almond Soup tastes and sounds exotic, but it’s super easy to make!
How to make Spicy Indonesian Vegan Carrot Almond Soup:
- Start with garden-fresh carrots. If you’re short on time, use peeled and ready-to-eat bagged baby carrots.
- Cook the carrots along with celery, onions, ginger and garlic in a small amount of oil to start the flavoring process.
- Add vegetable broth then simmer covered until all the veggies are super tender. Add almond butter, a few more seasonings…
- Then puree until smooth!
That’s it and you’ve got a nourishing and satisfying soup that’s perfect to start a meal or to enjoy as a light meal in itself!
Heavy cream is often used in pureed soups such as this one to add body and silkiness. With almond butter, you can skip the heavy cream! Almond butter adds body and silkiness but best of all, it adds flavor and wholesomeness!
Some sliced almonds add a little crunch! Garnish with some carrot fronds which are totally edible! (And also make a great pesto!)
So delish! So creamy without the cream! Enjoy this Spicy Indonesian Vegan Carrot Almond Soup!
Pumpkin Soup with Marsala and Mascarpone
Pumpkin Soup with Marsala and Mascarpone with a lovely toasty, buttery almond topping is the perfect elegant starter to all your holiday meals!
Butternut Squash Soup with Thyme and Taleggio
Butternut Squash Soup with Thyme and Taleggio is an elegant, rich and creamy soup that's perfect to serve this fall and winter!
Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Gouda Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Puree
Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Gouda Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Puree is comforting, creamy and the soup to make for a chilly night!
Helpful tools and equipment to make Spicy Indonesian Vegan Carrot Almond Soup (Affiliate Links):
- 2 tablespoons canola or coconut oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced (approximately 6 cups)
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Sliced almonds, garnish
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery, reduce heat to medium and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring often.
- Add carrots, ginger and garlic. Continue cooking another 4 to 5 minutes, stirring often or until ginger and garlic are fragrant.
- Add 5 cups vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until carrots are very soft, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add almond butter, soy sauce or tamari, lime juice, chili garlic sauce and salt to taste.
- Puree until smooth with an immersion blender. Alternately, puree in batches in a food processor or blender (be careful with hot liquids) until smooth. If too thick, add remaining vegetable broth.
- Garnish with sliced almonds.
To save time, use peeled, bagged baby carrots.
Amount Per Serving Calories 400 Total Fat 25g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 17g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 4263mg Carbohydrates 36g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 9g Sugar 15g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 13g