Cucumber Red Onion Feta Cheese Salad is crunchy, easy, delicious and comes together quickly!
Before I get to this super simple salad, I want to extend my thoughts and prayers to the people of Texas and Louisiana. I simply can not imagine what their lives have been like since Hurricane Harvey hit and what it will be like in the weeks, months and years to come. However, in true Texas and Louisiana fashion, they’re handling it with determination and strength.
Although it’s Labor Day weekend, there’s still plenty of summer left! I’ve got one more great summer salad to share with you. This Cucumber Red Onion Feta Cheese Salad is a salad we’ve been making for years–probably 20 years.
One of my all-time favorite cookbook authors is Deborah Madison. I love her fresh and simple approach to making vegetables shine and “speak” for themselves. This recipe is adapted from one in her first cookbook, The Greens Cookbook (Affiliate link) which was published when she was the chef at the iconic Greens Restaurant in San Francisco.
My husband and I had just started gardening and were enjoying some cucumber success. My cookbook collection at the time actually fit on one bookcase in our kitchen. I was still a vegetarian at the time so my collection was largely vegetarian.
We made this Cucumber Red Onion Feta Cheese Salad one night and we’ve been hooked on it ever since.
This is one of those salads you can cut or chop however you please. I recommend peeling the cucumbers at least somewhat. It’s a pretty crunchy salad, so cucumber skins make it even crunchier.
I like to use a vegetable peeler and peel the cucumber in strips, creating a pale green/dark green contrast. I think it makes a prettier salad and that peel is pretty nutritious, so don’t get rid of all of it.
The dressing is just mild rice vinegar and olive oil. Let the dressing sit on the cucumber and onion for a little bit so it takes some of the edge off the onions. Some fresh mint, feta cheese and that’s it!
Here are two other salads that are along this line to enjoy before the end of summer:
Because you’re awesome and amazing people, please continue to keep the people of Texas and Louisiana in your thoughts and prayers and let’s all help them out as much as we can!
Here’s an item that will come in mighty handy for this recipe! (Affiliate link)
Cucumber Red Onion Feta Cheese Salad is easy, delicious and comes together quickly!
- 4 large cucumbers (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar or as needed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 bunch fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the cucumbers, leaving some of the peel intact for color and texture. Quarter the cucumbers lengthwise and remove the seeds. Slice or cut the cucumber into bite-size pieces.
- Place in a bowl, add the onion, rice vinegar, olive oil and salt and black pepper. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Add the feta cheese and mint and toss. Adjust acidity as desired and seasoning to taste.