Sweet Potato Galette with Pecan Streusel Topping is the classic sweet potato casserole enveloped in flaky pastry for an unexpected holiday side dish!
The inspiration behind this recipe:
Ever since moving to the south 22 years ago, a dish I discovered that constantly stirs debate here is the oh-so-Southern sweet potato casserole.
Should it have mini marshmallows on top or a pecan streusel topping? Okay, the mini marshmallow thing is just wrong in my opinion but to each their own.
Folks here also debate whether a sweet potato casserole is a dessert or a side dish. Ever since I tried a sweet potato casserole, I will admit that they are darn delicious no matter how you serve them.
This is a sweet potato casserole tucked into a pie crust that creates a wonderful French-inspired dish called a “galette.”
How to make Sweet Potato Galette with Pecan Streusel Topping:
- Make the sweet potato filling. Cook sweet potatoes in salted water until you can easily pierce them with a knife.
- Melt butter and “rice” the potatoes into the melted butter. “Ricing” the potatoes with a potato ricer will give you a nice, even texture.
- Alternately, mash the sweet potatoes into the melted butter and add the other ingredients.
- I used coconut sugar in the sweet potato filling just for the extra flavor. However, feel free to use white sugar if you like.
- Place the sweet potato filling on an unbaked pie crust, leaving a 2 to 3-inch margin.
- Now, y’all are welcome to make your own pie crust. I love to eat anything in a pie crust but when it comes to making them, not so much. So, yes, I use a good, refrigerated rolled pie crust a lot of times.
- Roll the edges of the up and over the filling, tucking the crust in every inch or two.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the galette…
- …and bake!
Sweet Potato Galette with Pecan Streusel Topping!
Dessert? Side dish? Don’t care? Simply enjoy and you’ll be singing some sweet Southern praises!
More great holiday recipes you’ll love!
- Sweet Potato Souffle
- Pumpkin Soup with Marsala and Mascarpone
- Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Turkey Breast with Garlic Herb Sauce
- Turkey Scallopini in Sherry Cream Sauce with Mushrooms and Artichokes
Sweet Potato Galette with Pecan Streusel Topping
Click to Rate!
- 1 pound sweet potatoes - 2 medium, peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 7 tablespoons coconut sugar - or white sugar
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Pinch salt
- 1 roll (1/2 package) refrigerated pie crust - or your own homemade pie crust
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter - melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the sweet potatoes in salted water to cover. Bring to a boil.
- Place the butter in a medium bowl and place it over the saucepan to melt the butter. Remove when melted and let the potatoes continue to cook. When fork-tender, drain well.
- Using a potato ricer, rice the sweet potatoes into the melted butter. (Alternately, use a food mill.) Add the coconut sugar, half-and-half, vanilla extract, egg and a pinch of salt and mix well to combine.
- Unroll the pie crust onto a piece of parchment paper. Spread the sweet potato mixture over the pastry, leaving a 2 to 3-inch margin.
- Roll the edges of the pie crust over the filling, tucking it in every inch or two.
- Combine the pecans, flour, brown sugar and butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle it over the galette.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 and continue baking another 20 minutes or until the crust is golden. If the nuts look like they may brown too much or possibly burn, cover the center with a small piece of aluminum foil.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.