Old-Fashioned Potato Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup is the perfect hearty meal for a winter night! With lots of vegetables, potatoes and kielbasa in a spicy, tomatoey broth, it’s sure to warm you down to your toes!
Whenever I return home from visiting my 92-year-old father in Wisconsin as I did for Christmas, I crave something old-world, simple yet hearty. I love to sit and listen to him tell stories about growing up and about times that were difficult but simple.
In today’s crazy world, I often crave “simple.”
I love all my modern conveniences like my smartphone and computer so I prefer to live in the here and now. However, it’s fun to go back in time with recipes like this hearty farm-inspired Old-Fashioned Potato Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup.
This soup has all the comforts of home!
- Cabbage and other vegetables like onion, celery and carrots
- Kielbasa (use traditional pork, beef or for a more healthful touch–turkey kielbasa)
- A spicy, tomatoey broth seasoned with classic herbs and spices
- A splash of cider vinegar to make it all pop!
How to make Old-Fashioned Potato Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup:
There’s not much to it!
- Chop the veggies: Onion, carrot, celery, garlic and cabbage.
- Add the cabbage, kielbasa and seasonings.
- Add the potatoes.
- Simmer until it’s all tender.
- Garnish with fresh parsley because all soups need something green and fresh at the end.
- Throw in a splash of cider vinegar. A little splash of vinegar makes the whole soup SING!
That’s all there is to making Old-Fashioned Potato Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup!
- Ladle it into bowls and garnish with more fresh parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread and you’ll feel like you’ve been transported back to a simpler era! Old-Fashioned Potato, Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup is perfect for when you’ve had a super-stressful day!
This recipe makes enough to feed the family down the street, too! It freezes beautifully so it’s perfect to have on hand all winter long!
Want some more old-fashioned soup goodness? Be sure to check out my:
- Farmhouse Cabbage Soup with Cannellini Beans and Kielbasa
- Russian Cabbage Soup (Shchi)
- Creamy Potato, Kielbasa and Kale Soup
Click to purchase these helpful tools and equipment to make Old-Fashioned Potato Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup (Affiliate Links):
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 medium head of cabbage, sliced
- 2 (14-ounce) packages of kielbasa (pork, beef or turkey) halved lengthwise and sliced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15-ounce) beef broth
- 1 can (28-ounce) crushed tomatoes + 1/2 cup water to rinse out the can
- 1 pound small red new potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (optional, see note)
- Heat canola oil in a large Dutch oven or other large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 6-7 minutes, stirring often or until onion is beginning to soften.
- Add the carrots, celery and garlic and continue cooking, stirring often or until vegetables are softened.
- Add the cabbage and kielbasa and cook 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, beef broth, crushed tomatoes, water from rinsing the can, crushed red pepper flakes, thyme, marjoram and paprika. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low then add the cubed potatoes.
- Simmer over medium-low to low heat for 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes can be easily pierced with a paring knife.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper if desired.
- Stir in parsley and cider vinegar (if needed).
Whether the soup needs the vinegar at the end depends on the tomatoes. The kielbasa I used had "sweetness" to it and the cider vinegar helped balance out the flavors. Taste and decide!
Amount Per Serving Calories 243 Total Fat 16g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 11g Cholesterol 31mg Sodium 1370mg Carbohydrates 18g Fiber 3g Sugar 5g Protein 8g