Sausage and Lentil Soup with Kale is perfect for when all you want to do is wrap yourself up in some comfies and just enjoy a good, hearty bowl of flavorful goodness!
Spicy Italian sausage. Earthy lentils. Vegetables in a spicy, tomatoey broth with kale. Oh my!
Dried lentils are something I always have on hand. I love them! They make for an inexpensive meal or addition to a meal at any time of year. They also work in salads and you can use them in almost any way you would rice or quinoa.
Besides being versatile, they’re good for you! They’re loaded with plant protein and iron.
How to inspect lentils for debris:
One thing you always want to do when working with lentils is to look them over well for stones, twigs and odd-looking shriveled ones because those can be stone-like.
What I do is:
- Place a small amount–about ¼ cup–on a plain white paper plate. A white surface makes debris easier to find.
- Look them over for any odd things and discard.
- Then, gently fold the plate to guide them into your pot or into a bowl.
- Repeat with the remaining lentils.
Here are more lentil cooking tips from The Kitchn: How to Cook Perfectly Tender Lentils.
How to make Sausage and Lentil Soup with Kale:
It’s super easy! Start by cooking the lentils:
- I cook the lentils separately before adding them to this soup. All the starch they give off can make your soup a bit murky….and who wants that? Soups tend to thicken upon standing, especially those with anything starchy in them like lentils. Cooking them separately will help prevent that. Also, anything acidic like the tomatoes or the salty broth in this recipe may cause your lentils to take longer to cook.
- When the lentils are cooked, drain, rinse to cool then drain again. Set aside.
- Brown the sausage then transfer to a plate.
- Saute chopped onion, celery and carrots.
- Add garlic, the sausage, beef broth and canned diced tomatoes.
- Add dried basil and oregano and let it simmer away.
- Add the kale and simmer until it wilts.
- Transfer the lentils back to the pot.
- Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper and add crushed red pepper flakes for a kick if desired!
My best soup-making tip!
A soup-making tip I’ve learned over my years as a personal chef:
- Let the soup “rest” approximately 15 to 20 before serving. It’s going to be unbearably hot anyway, so let those flavors meld and get to know each other a little bit.
Stay well and enjoy this delicious, hearty Sausage and Lentil Soup with Kale!
More great lentil recipes you’ll love!
- Southwestern Lentil and Brown Rice Bake
- Spicy Kale, Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon
- Slow-Cooker Moroccan Turkey and Lentils
- Cauliflower, Red Lentil and Potato Curry
- Thai Red Curry Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
Check out all my soups at: Soups and Stews Recipe Index.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage links, casings removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups beef broth (or as needed)
- 1 can (28-ounce) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 large bunch of curly kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the lentils and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until cooked but not falling apart. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or large pot.
- Add the sausage and brown well until almost cooked through (will continue to cook in the soup.) Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain off half of the fat and return pot to medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add the carrot and celery and continue to cook another 5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add the garlic, stir briefly or until fragrant.
- Add the beef broth, tomatoes, herbs and sausage.
- Simmer uncovered 15 minutes. Add the lentils and kale and continue to cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste with salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Turn off the heat and let stand 10-15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 399Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 1579mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 22g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.