Sausage and Lentil Soup with Kale is perfect for when all you want to do is wrap yourself up in some comfies and just enjoy a good, hearty bowl of flavorful goodness!
What’s in a name? Well, I’ve changed mine. A Cookbook Obsession has become From A Chef’s Kitchen! I decided to change my name because I felt I could bring you more variety. Too many people thought all I did was redo cookbook recipes under my old banner.
While I will always have a passion for all things “cookbooks,” I’ve always got a new recipe going on in my head that needs to be brought to life and shared. I’m also looking forward to sharing recipes from other chefs and inspiring home cooks. Thanks for reading and joining me on this culinary journey!
Now for this Sausage and Lentil Soup with Kale! Spicy Italian sausage. Earthy lentils. Vegetables in a spicy, tomatoey broth with kale. Oh my!
Dried lentils are something I always have on hand. They make for an inexpensive meal or addition to a meal any time of year. They also work in salads and in almost any way you would rice or quinoa, you can use lentils.
How to inspect lentils for debris:
This is actually one of the downsides of loving lentils. One thing you always want to do when working with lentils is to look them over well for stones, twigs and odd-looking shriveled ones.
What I do is:
- Place a small amount, about a quarter-cup, on a plain white paper plate. The white paper plate makes debris easier to find.
- Look them over for any odd things.
- Then gently fold the plate to guide them into your pot or into a bowl.
- Repeat with the remaining lentils.
I also like to cook the lentils separately first for this recipe. All the starch they give off can make your soup a bit murky….and who wants that? Also, anything acidic like the tomatoes or the salty broth in this recipe may cause your lentils to take longer to cook.
Here are some great lentil cooking tips from The Kitchn: How to Cook Perfectly Tender Lentils.
Here’s a soup-making tip I’ve learned over my years as a personal chef: Let the soup “rest” approximately 15 to 20 before serving. It’s going to be unbearably hot anyway, so let those flavors meld and get to know each other a little bit. Soups tend to thicken up a bit upon standing, especially those with anything starchy in them.
Stay well and enjoy this delicious, hearty Sausage and Lentil Soup with Kale!
Southwestern Lentil and Brown Rice Bake
Southwestern Lentil and Brown Rice Bake is cheesy, delicious meatless comfort food even a carnivore will love and is super easy to prepare! Simply combine everything in a baking dish, pop it in the oven and let it bake away while you do other things.
Soupy Spanish Lentils with Chorizo and Manchego Toast
Soupy Spanish Lentils with Chorizo and Manchego Toast will have you not minding winter! Braised lentils with spicy chorizo sausage kicked up with red wine and Spanish spices and topped with melted Manchego cheese over crusty bread is perfect winter comfort food!
Cauliflower Red Lentil and Potato Curry
Cauliflower, Red Lentil and Potato Curry is spicy, hearty and delicious! Red lentils cook quickly and it's super easy to vary the veggies in the Indian-inspired dish!
Thai Red Curry Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
Thai Red Curry Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup delivers delicious Thai-inspired comfort and warmth in a hurry in a light yet satisfying soup!
Slow Cooker Moroccan Turkey and Lentils
Slow Cooker Moroccan Turkey and Lentils is a delicious way to puts an exotic twist on turkey! Perfect for the holidays or an easy dinner any night of the week and any time of year!
Spicy Kale Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon
Spicy Kale, Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup with Bacon hits all the flavor notes for a tasty and healthful fall dinner! Perfect for when you need some soup goodness!
Helpful Tools and Equipment to make Sausage and Lentil Soup with Kale (Affiliate Links):
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package (10-ounce) package baby kale or shredded kale
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage links, casings removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups beef broth (or as needed)
- 1 can (28-ounce) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the lentils and simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until cooked but not falling apart. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or large pot. Add the kale sprouts and saute until wilted. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the sausage and brown well until almost cooked through (will continue to cook in the soup.) Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain off half of the fat.
- Add the onion and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add the carrot and celery and continue to cook another 5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add the garlic, stir briefly, then add the beef broth, tomatoes, herbs and sausage.
- Simmer uncovered 15 minutes. Add the lentils and kale and continue to cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste with salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Turn off the heat and let stand 10-15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 399 Total Fat 26g Saturated Fat 9g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 20g Cholesterol 43mg Sodium 1579mg Carbohydrates 20g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 6g Sugar 5g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 22g