Pumpkin, Chipotle and White Cheddar Grits with Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp is the perfect autumn treat for an easy dinner or for entertaining guests that’s both savory and spicy!
The inspiration behind this recipe:
I think I’ve said it a time or two but I love me some shrimp and grits!
When I moved to the South, I never had grits nor shrimp and grits. I could handle shrimp in any form, but I was more than a little apprehensive about grits. Then, my husband and I stayed at a Southern antebellum bed and breakfast a number of years ago. When we sat down to breakfast, on the plate served to me were grits.
Yes, they made me a little nervous but they were creamy, cheesy and divine!
I then had shrimp and grits at an area restaurant not long after and from that point on I was hooked!
Now that its pumpkin season, pumpkin grits just seemed like the thing to do! This Pumpkin, Chipotle and White Cheddar Grits with Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp is both a delicious savory and spicy main dish perfect for entertaining! Pumpkin, spicy and smoky chipotle peppers, cheese, shrimp and BACON!
Types of grits:
What I didn’t know about grits upon becoming hooked was there were so many different kinds! There are:
- Stone-ground (sometimes referred to as old-fashioned) and will have the best texture
- Quick (good in a pinch)
- Instant (for when you need a grits fix but don’t have any time)
Stone-ground is what I used here. You can generally find them in the breakfast cereal aisle.
How to make Pumpkin, Chipotle and White Cheddar Grits with Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp:
- When cooking the grits, get the water or broth boiling.
- Use 1 cup of plain, solid-packed pumpkin as part of the liquid.
- Add the chipotle peppers along with some salt and pepper.
- Then, add the grits gradually. If you add them all at once, they have a tendency to lump up.
- Stir in some butter and cheese.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds.
- While the grits are simmering away, wrap some colossal shrimp with half-slices of bacon and secure with toothpicks.
- If you’re nervous about overcooking the shrimp, you can par-cook the bacon a little bit. Simply get some of the fat rendered off but don’t let it get it crispy. Then, finish as directed.
- Be sure to always use wild-caught American shrimp for the best texture!
- Then brown well on all sides in a nonstick skillet.
Serve the bacon-wrapped shrimp over the spicy pumpkin and cheese grits, garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds and… Friends!
Pumpkin, Chipotle and White Cheddar Grits with Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp is a crazy delicious autumn dinner that’s perfect for a great meal at home or for entertaining guests!
This dish uses only one cup of a whole can of pumpkin. Don’t discard the remainder! Save it to add pumpkin goodness and flavor to soups and stews this fall and winter!
More shrimp and grits recipes:
- Cauliflower Grits with Gouda Cheese and Blackened Shrimp
- Spicy Shrimp and Grits Casserole with Gouda Cheese
- Smothered Shrimp and Andouille Sausage with Creamy Parmesan Peppercorn Grits
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 3 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 cup solid-pack pumpkin puree
- 2 to 3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- SHRIMP AND GARNISH
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 (1-pound) bags colossal shrimp (10-12 count per bag), peeled and deveined, tails left intact
- 12 slices of bacon, halved
- GRITS: Bring water or chicken broth, pumpkin, chiles, salt and black pepper to a boil.
- Slowly add the grits in a constant stream, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, 15-20 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in butter and cheese, cover and let stand while browning the shrimp.
- SHRIMP AND GARNISH: Toast the pumpkin seeds in a nonstick skillet 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned in places, beginning to pop and you notice a toasted aroma. Transfer to a plate.
- Wrap each shrimp in half a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place the shrimp in the nonstick skillet you used for the seeds and cook, turning frequently until the bacon is nicely browned on all sides and the shrimp is cooked through.
- Serve the shrimp over the grits. Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds.
If you're nervous about overcooking the shrimp, you can parcook the bacon a little bit and then wrap the shrimp and finish cooking it.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 1701mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 21g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.