Summer entertaining tips:
- Create a defined outdoor “dining room” with the outdoor furniture you already have or borrow a few pieces from inside your home.
- Borrow from your yard and garden to create an unfussy centerpiece such as floating a large flower or even several in a glass bowl.
- Use flameless battery-powered candles on your table so you don’t have to worry about them being knocked over or the wind blowing them out.
- Repurpose white Christmas lights by hanging them around your party area to set a festive mood.
- Keep dinnerware casual. Use pretty disposables, melamine or even mismatched pieces from second-hand stores.
- Use a decorative tub or trough filled with plenty of ice to keep drinks cool.
- Keep the food seasonal and casual. Serve lots of salads, vegetables and fruit.
- Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold.
- Be aware of cross-contamination when grilling meats. Always use a clean platter for the finished product.
- Set plenty of citronella candles around the party area to keep bugs away.
How to make Southwestern Spiced Grilled Pork Chops with Plum Jalapeno Salsa:
- Start with two thick bone-in pork rib chops.
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl then transfer to a jar and keep airtight. The rub recipe makes plenty so you can use it all summer long!
- Generously season the pork chops with the spice rub. Then grill.
- While the pork chops are grilling, prepare this fresh, spicy plum and jalapeno salsa.
- Combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl then serve with the chops.
More pork recipes you’ll love:
Southwestern Spiced Grilled Pork Chops with Plum Jalapeno Salsa
Click to Rate!
Southwestern Spice Rub
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano - preferably Mexican
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large plums - ripe but firm, pitted and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper - seeded if desired
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoon honey - or to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt - to taste
- 2 bone-in rib pork chops - (10-12 ounce)
- Canola or olive oil - for grill
Southwestern Spice Rub
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. Generously season chops with spice mixture.
- Lightly brush grates of the grill with a small amount of oil. Place the pork chops on the grill. Cook 4-5 minutes on the first side.
- Flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until pork chops reach an internal temperature of 155 degrees.
- Serve chops with salsa.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.