-Crab Mango and Avocado Salad with Chile-Lime Dressing in Endive is a flavor explosion! It's the perfect appetizer to make all spring and summer long!
Here's a super light and flavorful appetizer that's perfect for serving outdoors around the pool and for every outdoor occasion this spring and summer! It's got ALL the summery flavors going on--Crab Mango and Avocado Salad with Chile-Lime Dressing in Endive!
This is one of those easy-peasy appetizers you want to have in your arsenal. A little prep work and mama! It's super-impressive and perfect for entertaining in warm weather!
Tips for buying and storing mangos:
It can be tough finding a good mango that's not funky on the inside.
- Make sure the mango has JUST a little "squeeze" to it and it looks good on the outside.
- A mango that's past its prime is going to be extremely soft and just won't look good. Here's a mango shopping guide from Saveur magazine: How to Pick the Perfect Ripe Mango.
- I like to store mangoes in the refrigerator because they can go from ripe to ridiculously over-ripe in no time! Let the mango sit at room temperature for an hour or two before using it.
How to dice a mango:
- To easily dice a mango, slice down from the stem end, avoiding the large pit.
- Then take a sharp paring knife and simply make cuts in the mango flesh as follows:
- Use the dull end of the chef's knife or paring knife and simply cut the already diced flesh from the mango half and place it in a bowl.
- Add the other ingredients and ta-daahhh! A delicious, summery salad ready to serve in numerous ways!
Place this salad in avocado halves for a lovely light lunch or as shown here, place it in endive leaves. The cilantro, mango, avocado, lime, a touch of shallot makes for a lovely bite to serve all spring and summer long!
PRO TIP! Here's a tip to get the endive leaves to lie "still" and not roll around on your serving platter. Simply shave a small amount from the bottom/outside of each one with a sharp paring knife to create a flat surface.
Here are more bright and lively tropically-inspired appetizers!
- Grilled Citrus Chili Shrimp with Mango - Pineapple Salsa
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- Mango Gazpacho with Crab and Jalapeno Relish
- Halibut Ceviche with Mango and Avocado
- 20 Best Easy Crab Appetizers for all things crab appetizer!
Crab Mango and Avocado Salad with Chile-Lime Dressing in Endive
- 1 large serrano chile - minced
- 1 small shallot - minced
- 2 cans (6-ounce each) lump crab - drained
- 1 small avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 large mango - peeled, pitted and diced
- 2 large limes - juiced (3-4 tablespoons)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- 4-5 large heads Belgian endive - separated into 20 - 24 leaves
- Lime wedges and cilantro sprigs - for garnish
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place equal amounts of the salad in each endive leaf. Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro sprigs.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.
Kristin Guenther says
Can you mix this up a day in advance and then place it in the endive leaves the day of?
Hi, Kristin, Thanks so much for your question. You could mix up the crab part but leave the mango and avocado out. Dice the mango but store it separately. The acid in the salad would soften the mango up too much and won't have a very fresh appearance or texture. When you want to serve, just add the mango you've already diced and then fold in freshly cut avocado. Thanks again and hope you enjoy!
Maryann Wabalas says
Great make ahead appetizer. This came out delicious with lots of vibrant flavors.
Beth (OMG! Yummy) says
I really really love this - I'm inspired. Has all the flavors I love. Presents like a dish you've labored over but really, it's simple. Love that photo of the water on the lime. Lovely.
Thank you, Beth!