Creamy One Pot Chicken and Orzo “Risotto” with Bacon is an easy, comforting and soul-satisfying dinner you’ll want to make again and again.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Tyson Foods, Inc. The opinions and text are all mine.
Remember the days when Mom had dinner figured out? All you had to do was go to school, go home, do your homework then help Mom out by setting the table. A few cartoons and the next thing you know, you were being called to a wonderful, hot meal on the table that seemed to appear out of nowhere!
Around the dinner table was where everyone took time and talked to each other without all the electronic distractions we have today.
If you’re like me, you’d love to have those days back. However, now it’s time for adulting and we have to figure this hot meal thing out for ourselves.
Because this blog and my personal chef business keep me very busy, when Tyson Foods asked me to give their Refrigerated Fully Cooked Oven Roasted Diced Chicken Breast a try, I said, “Absolutely!”
Cooking chicken to the proper temperature can be tricky. There’s the time it takes to cook it and you need an accurate thermometer. Or, you have to cut into the chicken to make sure it’s fully cooked. With Tyson Foods Refrigerated Fully Cooked Oven Roasted Diced Chicken Breast there’s none of that trouble or worry! Cooking and meal preparation will be easier and more streamlined!
You also don’t have to worry because their chicken:
- Is raised without the use of antibiotics (we’re talking none… ever!).
- Has no added hormones or steroids.
- Does not have preservatives.
If you’re already a fan and have used their fully cooked chicken breast products before, Tyson Foods recently made some improvements:
- The cost per ounce is lower.
- Their new packaging has a resealable zipper for convenience.
- You can freeze the chicken right in the bag so you can always have fully cooked diced chicken on hand. Great for when you want to stock up!
Along with all the ingredients for this dish, you can find Tyson Foods Refrigerated Fully Cooked Oven Roasted Diced Chicken Breast at your local Kroger store in the lunchmeat area. To find your local Kroger store, visit their STORE LOCATOR.
Now let’s talk about this easy and comforting dish!
Creamy One Pot Chicken and Orzo “Risotto” with Bacon is an easy dish that tastes like it took more time than it actually did. This recipe is perfect for a small household; it serves two to three people. Add a salad and vegetable side dish and you can probably feed four.
A traditional risotto, which is generally made with Arborio rice, can take more time and energy than you may have after a long day. A traditional risotto requires constant stirring so that the rice is uniformly cooked. Instead, this riff on risotto uses orzo, which is rice-shaped pasta. (Gluten-free orzo is also available at Kroger.)
Rather than stirring and having to pay attention to traditional risotto, this version simmers away on the stove giving you more time to get another thing or two done–or to relax!
Start by cooking the bacon. I like to take full strips of bacon, cut them in half and then cut them in half lengthwise to create little “mini” strips of bacon. I just think they’re super cute and they cook faster this way too. When the bacon strips are crisp and nicely browned, drain on paper towels and set aside the prettiest ones for a garnish. Crumble the remainder to add to the risotto right before serving.
Then, proceed as you would for a traditional risotto. Save some of the fat from the bacon, add a little butter, cook the onion and garlic then toss in the orzo pasta. Stir briefly until it turns golden in color
Add chicken broth, a dash of cream, some cheese and …
….Tyson Foods Refrigerated Fully Cooked Oven Roasted Diced Chicken and you have a wonderful creamy comforting meal that hardly took any time at all.
This super-easy dish is also super-versatile! To change it up, add veggies such as spinach, broccoli, asparagus or mushrooms!
Creamy One Pot Chicken and Orzo “Risotto” with Bacon. We’re talking an easy and delicious dish with minimal effort!
Head to your local Kroger store and pick up some Tyson Foods Refrigerated Fully Cooked Oven Roasted Diced Chicken Breast and the other ingredients for Creamy One Pot Chicken and Orzo “Risotto” with Bacon.
SAVE TODAY! Click HERE then click on the Meat & Seafood tab for a digital load to card coupon for Tyson Foods Refrigerated Fully Cooked Oven Roasted Diced Chicken Breast at Kroger.
Federal Regulations prohibit the use of added hormones or steroids in chicken.
- 8 slices bacon, halved and sliced lengthwise to make 16 mini strips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (approximately 1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (heaping) dried orzo pasta
- 2-3 cups chicken broth (or as needed)
- ¼ cup heavy or whipping cream
- ½ cup grated Asiago, Parmesan or Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 (12-ounce) bag Tyson Foods Refrigerated Fully Cooked Oven Roasted Diced Chicken Breast
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Place the bacon in a high-sided skillet or sauté pan. Heat to medium-high. When the bacon begins to cook, reduce heat to medium and brown until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. When cool to the touch, crumble half the bacon leaving the remaining mini strips for garnish.
- Save 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat in the pan and discard the rest.
- Add the butter to the bacon fat in the pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 8 – 10 minutes or until onion is very soft. (The salt is going to help sweat and soften the onion and keep it from browning.)
- Add the garlic and cook briefly until fragrant (15 seconds). Add the orzo and stir 1 – 2 minutes or until it turns golden in color.
- Slowly add 2 cups of the chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low. Simmer uncovered for 12 – 15 minutes or until the pasta is al dente and much of the liquid has been absorbed. (If necessary, add additional broth to keep it from becoming dry.)
- Stir in the cream, cheese and chicken. Continue to stir until the cheese has melted and the chicken is heated through. Stir in the crumbled bacon. Season to taste with salt if desired.
- Serve in bowls with additional cheese if desired. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired and reserved bacon strips.
Amount Per Serving Calories 443Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 103mgSodium 2329mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 29g