Southwestern Chicken, Orzo and Black Bean Skillet is an easy and festive stovetop dinner that’s perfect for a weeknight! Your family will ask for it again and again!
Hey, all! I’ve got a dish that’s super easy for a weeknight with a serious delish factor you and your whole family will love! Southwestern Chicken, Orzo and Black Bean Skillet!
As I was making this, my hubby kept looking over at it like… “When is that going to be ready?”
How’s this? It’s ready in about 45 minutes from start to finish and best of all, it’s made on the stovetop in just one skillet! Your family is going to love this dish!
What is orzo?
Orzo, also called risoni is pasta that is shaped like a grain of rice. It can be made with regular white flour or whole wheat flour. Because it is made with wheat, it generally is not gluten-free like rice is. However, DeLallo makes gluten-free orzo.
I love that it cooks so quickly and is so versatile!
How to make Southwestern Chicken, Orzo and Black Bean Skillet:
- Slice two chicken breast halves into thin strips.
- Season generously with salt, black pepper and your favorite taco seasoning or another Southwestern-style seasoning.
- Brown, then transfer to a plate.
- Cook some onion, red bell pepper…
- Add the chicken back to the skillet.
- Then add canned diced tomatoes with green chiles, chicken broth, the orzo, more of the taco seasoning…
- And cook away!
- Add frozen corn that you’ve thawed and drained and rinsed black beans…
- …And you’ve got one of the most satisfying, comforting meals ever that you can make in one skillet the whole family will love!
Southwestern Chicken, Orzo and Black Bean Skillet is cheesy, pleasy and easy! Guaranteed to become a new family favorite you’ll want to make again and again!
Helpful Tools and Equipment to make Southwestern Chicken, Orzo and Black Bean Skillet (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (approximately 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning or another Southwestern-style seasoning, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (10.75-ounce) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 cup corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1 can (15-ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Season chicken strips with salt, black pepper and 2 teaspoons taco seasoning.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Place chicken strips in the pan and brown well on both sides. Transfer to a plate but reserve dripping in the pan. Return pan to medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and a pinch of salt, then reduce heat to medium. Cook the onions until softened, 7-8 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper and continue cooking another 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic and cook briefly or until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Return chicken to the skillet.
- Add diced tomatoes, chicken broth and remaining taco seasoning. Bring to a boil.
- Add orzo and stir. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 15-17 minutes or until orzo is cooked through and the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in corn and black beans and heat through.
- Stir in half the cheese then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 715 Total Fat 27g Saturated Fat 11g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 13g Cholesterol 105mg Sodium 1359mg Carbohydrates 72g Fiber 8g Sugar 7g Protein 46g