Here’s an amazing tip you’re going to love and it’s just in time for the holidays! Here’s how to “speed bake” an apple pie (or any fruit pie)! This is perfect for when you’re short on time, need to bake a lot of pies or in the summer when you want a lovely seasonal fruit pie but want to keep your kitchen cool. Pie in half the time!
Would you believe this beautiful, golden apple pie did some time in the microwave?
I think I’ve mentioned once or twice that my mother was the ultimate pie baker. There was always a pie of some sort on the counter or in the refrigerator. Since her passing, my oldest sister, Arleen, has assumed the duty of providing my father with pies.
So, when my dad received a small box of peaches from a neighbor last summer while I was visiting, my sister went to work making a couple of peach pies.
I was amazed at how quickly she turned them out and that’s when I learned her secret for speed-baking a fruit pie!
There’s not much to it and you can use your favorite apple pie recipe or any fruit pie recipe. I’m sooo not a baker so if I can do this, I know you can!
How to speed bake an apple pie (or any fruit pie):
- Prepare the apples by tossing with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Add white and brown sugar, along with cinnamon, nutmeg, a touch of salt and instant tapioca.
- Place a prepared pie crust in the bottom of a MICROWAVE-SAFE pie pan such as Pyrex.
- Pour in the apples…
- Place the other crust over the top and make a few vent holes.
- Decoratively secure the edges around the pie.
- Brush with an egg wash.
- Place in the microwave and microwave on HIGH for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave. Slight warning…. the pie will not look great at this point but then magic happens!
- Immediately place in a 425° preheated oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- THAT’S IT! A fully cooked, beautiful, golden, flaky pie in 20 to 25 minutes!
This is perfect for when you’re short on time, need to bake a lot of pies or in the summer when you want a lovely seasonal fruit pie but want to keep your kitchen cool. Enjoy!
Be sure to try some of my other easy desserts!
- Easy Raspberry Coffee Cake
- Grilled Pound Cake with Balsamic Macerated Strawberries and Mascarpone Cream
- Blueberry Crumble Bars
- Chocolate Avocado Mousse
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds apples (about 6 large), peeled, cored and thinly sliced (I used Fuji apples.)
- 1/2 cup white sugar (or as needed)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (or as needed)
- 2 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 prepared pie crusts for a 9-inch pan,
- 1 egg white mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine lemon juice and apples in a large bowl. Stir in sugars, tapioca, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Using a MICROWAVE-SAFE pie pan, place one of the crusts over the bottom of the pan.
- Fill with apples.
- Place the other crust over the top of the apples and decoratively secure the edges.
- Lightly brush the top crust with the egg wash.
- Place in the microwave. Microwave on HIGH for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and immediately place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Place on a cooling rack and let cool 2 hours.
This recipe is for an average 9-inch pie, not deep dish.
Serving Size:1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 258mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 6gSugar: 45gProtein: 3g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.