Spicy Indonesian Vegan Carrot Almond Soup is healthful, exotic and easy to make. It’s the perfect starter for any meal or a light vegan meal in itself!
Here’s a soup you’re going to want to put on repeat! The flavors of this easy vegan soup are all perfectly balanced with the sweetness of carrots, a touch of acidity with lime juice, fresh ginger and a little kick of heat from chili garlic sauce. Almond butter makes this soup creamy without the cream. Best of all, Spicy Indonesian Vegan Carrot Almond Soup is super easy to make!
How to make Indonesian Vegan Carrot Almond Soup:
- Start with garden-fresh carrots. If you’re short on time, use peeled and ready-to-eat bagged baby carrots.
- Cook the carrots along with celery, onions, ginger and garlic in a small amount of oil to start the flavoring process.
- Add vegetable broth then simmer covered until all the veggies are super tender. Add almond butter, a few more seasonings…
- Then puree until smooth!
That’s it and you’ve got a nourishing and satisfying soup that’s perfect to start a meal or to enjoy as a light meal in itself!
Heavy cream is often used in pureed soups such as this one to add body and silkiness. With almond butter, you can skip the heavy cream! Almond butter adds body and silkiness but best of all, it adds flavor and wholesomeness!
Some sliced almonds add a little crunch! Garnish with some carrot fronds which are totally edible! (And they also make a great pesto!)
So delish! So creamy without the cream! Enjoy this Spicy Indonesian Vegan Carrot Almond Soup!
For more smooth and creamy soups that can be made vegan, try my:
- Cream of Celery Leaf and Scallion Soup
- Spinach Goat Cheese Bisque with Crispy Lemon Chickpeas
- Pumpkin Soup with Marsala and Mascarpone
- Creamy White Bean Rutabaga and Roasted Garlic Soup with Quinoa Parmesan Crisps
- Butternut Squash Soup with Thyme and Taleggio
- Cream of Asparagus and Leek Soup with Curry
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Gouda Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Puree
- Cream of Green Vegetable Soup
Indonesian Vegan Carrot Almond Soup
Click to Rate!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil - or coconut oil
- 1 large onion - coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery - coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds carrots - peeled and sliced (approximately 6 cups)
- 1 piece (1-inch) fresh ginger - peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - coarsely chopped
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce - or tamari
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - or to taste
- Sliced almonds and carrot top fronds - garnish
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery, reduce heat to medium and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring often.
- Add carrots, ginger and garlic. Continue cooking another 4 to 5 minutes, stirring often or until ginger and garlic are fragrant.
- Add 5 cups vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until carrots are very soft, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add almond butter, soy sauce or tamari, lime juice, chili garlic sauce and salt to taste.
- Puree until smooth with an immersion blender. Alternately, puree in batches in a food processor or blender (be careful with hot liquids) until smooth. If too thick, add remaining vegetable broth.
- Garnish with sliced almonds.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.