Baked Fish with Cherry Tomato-Olive Sauce and Lemon Chive Asiago Orzo makes an easy springtime dinner for two that rocks with flavor!
Here’s a great Mediterranean-inspired fish dish that hits every note! It’s healthful, easy, flavorful and versatile! Best of all, you may be able to pull it together with what you already have on hand!
One thing we always have on hand are either cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes. When tomatoes are not in season, their flavor is superior to conventional hothouse supermarket tomatoes. Best of all, when roasted, they make a delicious sauce for pasta, fish or chicken with minimal knife work.
How to make Baked Fish with Cherry Tomato – Olive Sauce:
- First, roast the tomatoes. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper.
- Roast at 375 degrees for approximately 10 minutes.
- When the cherry tomatoes are nice and soft, transfer the tomatoes and all their juices to a bowl. Place the fish fillets on the same baking sheet and let it bake away while making the rest of the sauce.
- Add the black olives, garlic, a touch of white wine, a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes for some heat and thinly sliced fresh basil. How easy is that?
What type of fish to use:
I used barramundi here but you can use any fish for this recipe. Thin, flat filets such as tilapia, sole, flounder or trout will cook faster. If you have more time, a thicker fish such as cod, halibut or sea bass will also work.
I did a post a long time ago for Australis Barramundi and really liked it so now I always keep it on hand for a fish dinner any night of the week.
If using the barramundi for this baked fish dish, you’ll need to thaw it first. I’ve got an affiliate link below for a thawing plate that has become an indispensable tool in my kitchen! A cast-iron skillet turned upside down will also work. However, be sure to lay some plastic over it first as the moisture will cause it to rust.
The Lemon Chive Asiago Orzo makes the perfect side dish to the Baked Fish with Cherry Tomato – Olive Sauce and can be cooked while doing the fish and sauce.
Orzo is rice-shaped pasta and cooks in minutes so it’s ideal for a quick and easy side dish.
That’s it! Easy, light and healthful! Serve with roasted asparagus, broccoli or green beans.
Be sure to check out some of my other top fish posts!
- Curried Chickpea Encrusted Barramundi with Jalapeno – Lime Tartar Sauce
- Mediterranean Fish en Papillote
- Butter-Basted Halibut with Lemon Braised Baby Vegetables
- Blackened Halibut with Mango – Avocado Salsa
- Grilled Mahi-Mahi with Cilantro – Ginger Pesto
Baked Fish with Cherry Tomato Olive Sauce + Lemon Chive Asiago Orzo
Fish and Sauce
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes - or grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil - divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- 2 (8-ounce) white fish fillets - such as tilapia, barramundi, trout, sole, flounder, etc.)
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives - halved
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large sprig fresh basil - leaves thinly sliced
- Lemon wedges
- 1 cup orzo
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 small lemon - zested and juiced
- ½ cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
Fish and Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place tomatoes on a nonstick baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Roast for 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl along with all the juices.
- Place the fish on the baking sheet, drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cooked through and easily flakes with a fork.
- Meanwhile, add olives to tomatoes along with garlic, wine and red pepper flakes. Just before serving, add the fresh basil. Serve with orzo and lemon wedges.
- Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook to the al dente stage.
- Drain in a sieve or colander then return to the saucepan. Add the butter, garlic, lemon zest and juice and cheese. Stir until butter is melted them add chives. Serve immediately.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.