Chicken BLT Salad with Spicy Avocado Ranch Dressing is fresh, cool, crunchy and easy! The classic sandwich gets a makeover here into a salad with a spicy ranch dressing!
The inspiration behind this recipe:
We’re big “BLT-ers” at our house. My mother-in-law actually got us started on that kick. Whenever she visits, we do BLTs a couple of times however I limit my bread consumption as much as possible because I don’t need all those carbs. Rather, I’ll do a bacon, lettuce, tomato, red onion and avocado salad while hubby and mom-in-law enjoy their sandwiches.
With Independence Day tomorrow, no doubt you’re doing a lot of grilling and chilling this weekend. If you have chicken leftover from a grilling extravaganza, this Chicken BLT Salad with Spicy Avocado Ranch Dressing is the perfect way to use it up. We usually always grill a little extra chicken to add to salads, quesadillas and pasta dishes for easy weeknight meals.
Just in case you’re needing some assistance with how to grill chicken, here’s a great guide from Food Network.
How to make Chicken BLT Salad with Spicy Avocado Ranch Dressing:
A salad is just a salad until the dressing goes on! What better way is there to enjoy a BLT salad than with ranch dressing!
This spicy ranch dressing has the tanginess of buttermilk and mayonnaise, the richness of avocado, the brightness of fresh herbs and the kick of fresh jalapeno!
- Simply combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Done and delish!
- The dressing will keep for about a week in the refrigerator. If you need a dairy-free option, use soy or any dairy-free sour cream in place of the buttermilk.
- Pile on the ingredients:
- Romaine or red leaf lettuce
- Sliced grilled chicken breasts
- Red onion
- Instead of just cooking and crumbling the bacon over the Chicken BLT salad, I like to garnish with mini bacon strips. Simply cut a strip of bacon in half widthwise, then cut it lengthwise. I show you how in this post for Shrimp and Corn Risotto with Bacon.
That’s it! I hope you enjoy this very American and super simple Chicken BLT Salad with Spicy Avocado Ranch Dressing!
For more fresh, crunchy and delicious main course salads, be sure to try my:
- Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad with Sourdough Croutons
- Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Salad Nicoise
- Sichuan Bang Bang Chicken
- Italian Chopped Salad with Chicken
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded if desired
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 strips thin bacon, cut into 4 smaller strips
- Romaine or red leaf lettuce
- 2 grilled chicken breasts
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Roma tomatoes
- 1 large avocado, pitted and cut into wedges
- DRESSING: Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate until needed.
- SALAD: Cut the bacon strips in half widthwise, then cut in half lengthwise to create four "mini" strips of bacon. Place in a skillet or saute pan. Cook over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Place lettuce in salad bowls or on a plate. Top with chicken, red onion, tomatoes, avocado and bacon. Drizzle wtih dressing. Serve immediately.
10-minute cook time assumes you already have grilled chicken on hand.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1006Total Fat: 83gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 64gCholesterol: 163mgSodium: 1419mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 12gSugar: 7gProtein: 47g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.