Chicken BLT Salad with Spicy Avocado Ranch Dressing is fresh, cool, crunchy and the perfect way to use up grilled chicken!
I hope you’re all having a great Independence Day holiday weekend! Don’t you love when Independence Day falls on a Tuesday or Thursday? Four-day weekend! Woohoo!
No doubt you’re doing a lot of grilling and chilling this weekend. If you have chicken left over from a grilling extravaganza, this Chicken BLT Salad with Spicy Avocado Ranch Dressing is the perfect way to use it up. We usually always grill a little extra chicken to add to salads, quesadillas and pasta dishes for easy weeknight meals.
We’re big “BLT-ers” at our house. My mother-in-law actually got us started on that kick. Now when she visits (which she does for a month at a time), we do BLTs a couple of times. Before anyone gasps at the amount of time my mother-in-law visits, she and I actually get along great and have fun together.
I limit my bread consumption as much as possible because I don’t need all those carbs. Rather, I’ll do a bacon, lettuce, tomato, red onion and avocado salad while hubby and mom-in-law enjoy their sandwiches.
And what better way is there to enjoy a BLT salad than with ranch dressing! This spicy ranch dressing has the tanginess of buttermilk and mayonnaise, the richness of avocado, fresh herbs and fresh jalapeno!
You’re going to love this salad dressing and it’s so easy! Just place everything in a food processor or blender and let it go! The dressing will keep for about a week in the refrigerator. If you need a dairy-free option, use soy or any dairy-free sour cream in place of the buttermilk.
Instead of just cooking and crumbling the bacon over the salad, I like to garnish with mini bacon strips. Simply cut a strip of bacon in half widthwise, then cut it lengthwise. I show you how in this posting for Shrimp and Corn Risotto with Bacon.
That’s it! I hope you enjoy this very American and super simple summer salad!
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded if desired
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 strips thin bacon, cut into 4 smaller strips
- Romaine or red leaf lettuce
- Grilled chicken
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Roma tomatoes
- 1 large avocado, pitted and cut into wedges
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate until needed.
- Cut the bacon strips in half widthwise, then cut in half lengthwise to create four "mini" strips of bacon. Place in a skillet or saute pan. Cook over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Place lettuce in salad bowls or on a plate. Top with chicken, red onion, tomatoes, avocado and bacon. Drizzle wtih dressing. Serve immediately.
10-minute cook time assumes you already have grilled chicken on hand.