Italian Chopped Salad with Chicken is loaded with crisp fresh greens, vegetables and protein dressed with a lively vinaigrette you’ll want to drizzle on everything! It’s the perfect salad to have on hand all spring and summer long for a quick lunch or light dinner.
With spring’s arrival, we are crazy busy around our house trying to get some cleaning done, the garden planted and just kicking back and trying to enjoy the warmer weather. This salad has been on repeat lately!
You’ll love how versatile it is!
- Make it with or without chicken.
- Use canned tuna or salmon instead of chicken.
- Vary the veggies and vary the proteins.
- Use cannellini beans instead of chickpeas.
You get the idea! Let’s make it this Italian Chopped Salad with Chicken!
How to make Italian Chopped Salad with Chicken:
- Gather and prep all the ingredients for the dressing:
- Red wine vinegar
- Fresh lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Dried parsley
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Extra-virgin olive oil (not too strong)
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing and let it sit so the flavors marry while prepping the ingredients for the salad. If you can make it a day ahead of time, all the better!
- Prep the ingredients for the salad:
- Romaine lettuce
- Red kale
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Red onion
- Diced cooked chicken
- Canned chickpeas
- Provolone cheese
- Toss all the ingredients together! That’s it!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes. Store the dressing and the rest of the salad separately. For the best quality, this salad is best enjoyed within 24 hours. However, it will keep WITHOUT DRESSING for up to three days.
As mentioned above, this salad is super versatile. Use canned tuna or salmon in place of the chicken or leave the meat out altogether. Use red cabbage in place of red kale, Mozzarella in place of the Provolone, cannellini beans in place of the chickpeas, use ham instead of salami and vary the veggies.
More main course salads you’ll love!
- Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad with Sourdough Croutons
- Chicken BLT Salad with Spicy Avocado Ranch Dressing
- Vietnamese Chicken Salad with Spicy Lime Ginger Dressing
- Salade Nicoise
- French Lentil Salad
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 1 large or 2 small heads of Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 small bunch of red kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 8 red radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ large red onion, chopped
- 2 ½ to 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 6 ounces dry salami, chopped (approximately 1 heaping cup)
- 1 can (15-ounce) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces Provolone cheese, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup sliced pepperoncini
- DRESSING: Combine the first 10 ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Slowly add the extra virgin olive oil, whisking constantly until blended. Set aside or refrigerate while preparing the salad.
- SALAD: Combine the salad ingredients in a large serving bowl.
- When ready to serve, drizzle the dressing over the salad or allow each diner to dress their salad as desired.
Prep time does not include cooking the chicken.