Everything Bagel Spice Whole Roasted Cauliflower is an elegant, dramatic and healthful vegetable side dish that’s over-the-top with flavor!
The inspiration behind this recipe:
Have you noticed how everything is suddenly “everything bagel spice?” This flavorful combination is turning up on everything!
The origin of everything bagel spice is up for debate. It is said to have been created by accident around 1980 when the inventor had a stroke of inspiration while cleaning out the oven in his bagel shop at the end of the day. No one knows the true origin for sure, but we do know this tasty combination of spices works beautifully on almost everything!
I’m a huge fan of Cuisine at Home magazine. Their latest edition has a recipe for Everything Bagel Cauliflower with Herbed Cream Cheese. I didn’t have the ingredients for the cream cheese sauce on hand but after making this, I feel the cauliflower doesn’t need it.
What is in everything bagel spice?
Everything bagel spice is a simple combination you can make yourself. It has:
- Dried granulated garlic
- Dried onion flakes
- Poppy seeds
- Sesame seeds
How to make Everything Bagel Spice Whole Roasted Cauliflower:
The first time I roasted a whole head of cauliflower, I was sadly disappointed in the flavor. I had seen recipes for this method however, it was much ado about nothing! The seasoning was all on the outside and the inside was bland. It didn’t have any of the beautiful and delicious caramelization that you get after roasting cauliflower florets or steaks.
Not being one to give up on things easily, I wanted to find a way to get some flavor on the inside so I created this Brined Whole Roasted Tandoori Cauliflower.
After that experiment, I’m a believer in brining the head of cauliflower before roasting! Here’s another source for this process from LifeHacker.
- Start with a super fresh head of cauliflower.
- Cut the bottom off so that you have a fresh cut, then immerse into generously salted water.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- Pat dry then schmear it with a tangy combination of plain, full-fat Greek yogurt, lemon juice and salt and black pepper.
- Apply the everything bagel spice then spray with cooking spray to moisten the spice blend.
- Roast for approximately an hour and then be prepared for lots of oohs and aahs when you serve this Everything Bagel Spice Whole Roasted Cauliflower!
Delicious! Dramatic! Everything Bagel Spice Whole Roasted Cauliflower is over the top with flavor!
Enjoy and let’s eat!
More cauliflower recipes you’ll love!
- Cauliflower Parmigiana
- Cauliflower Welsh Rarebit
- Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Mustard Caper Brown Butter
- Cauliflower White Bean Puree
- Roasted Cauliflower with Black Olive Pangrattato
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 2 quarts hot tap water
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (full-fat preferred)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for baking dish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Nonstick cooking spray
- SPICE BLEND
- 2 tablespoons dried minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- CAULIFLOWER: Combine salt and hot tap water in a bowl. Stir until salt dissolves. Add the cauliflower and refrigerate 24 hours. (You'll need to hold it down with a plate, lid or pan.)
- Pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a roasting pan or baking dish with olive oil.
- Combine yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and black pepper in a bowl. Coat the cauliflower with the yogurt mixture. Sprinkle cauliflower with 2 tablespoons spice blend (or as desired). Lightly spray the spices with cooking spray.
- Place cauliflower in prepared pan or baking dish. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until cauliflower can easily be pierced with a knife.
- SPICE BLEND: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 15289mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 9gSugar: 9gProtein: 11g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.