Mojo Pork Skewers and Pepper Jelly Glazed Sweet Potatoes are bold, citrusy and super easy for summer grilling perfection!
Suffering from late summer grilling boredom? This deliciously easy Mojo Pork Skewers with Pepper Jelly Glazed Sweet Potatoes is sure to bring your grilling mojo back!
What is mojo?
Mojo sauce is used mainly in Cuban cuisine and pairs particularly well with pork. There are many variations but most contain garlic, olive oil and citrus juice — usually sour or bitter orange. Occasionally, fresh herbs, cumin and onion are added.
Bitter orange can be difficult to find. However, combining freshly squeezed navel or Valencia orange juice with freshly squeezed lime juice makes a great substitute.
The mojo sauce for this dish serves two purposes: Part is used as a marinade and the remainder later as a dipping sauce for the finished pork skewers.
Tips for toasting spices:
Toasting helps bring out the flavor of ground cumin and most other ground spices.
- To toast ground cumin, place in a dry nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. It will become quite aromatic after about 30 seconds and the edges may be lightly browned.
- Immediately remove it from the heat or you may burn it. If you have more time, start with whole cumin seed, toast until aromatic, cool, then grind in a spice grinder.
Tips for marinating Mojo Pork Skewers:
- I like to use zipper-top bags when marinating meat or poultry because a smaller amount of marinade will cover more of the surface. Just by moving the bag around, any surface that wasn’t in the marinade initially will get immersed. When you remove the protein from the bag, just seal and discard the marinade.
- If you don’t eat pork, this marinade and sauce also works with chicken and shrimp. However, you don’t want to marinate shrimp longer than 30 minutes or it will “cook” in the acid.
Pepper jelly-glazed sweet potatoes are one of my favorite ways to enjoy sweet potatoes, which are just coming into season. I cut into wedges, roast then glaze with a combination of melted pepper jelly and cider vinegar. They pair perfectly with these citrusy Mojo Pork Skewers! They’d also pair beautifully with this dish: Cuban-Style Mojo Marinated Pork Tenderloin with Black Beans.
More tasty pork recipes:
- Cuban-Style Mojo Marinated Pork Tenderloin with Black Beans
- Spice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Peach Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- Bourbon Marinated Pork Tenderloin with Peach Watermelon Salsa
- Pecan-Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Bourbon – Mustard Sauce
- Spicy Tahini Pork Medallions with Harissa Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
- Cumin Lime Roast Pork Tacos with Salsa Verde
- Cajun-Smothered Pork Medallions
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 scallions, white and light green part only or 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar (to taste)
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground cumin, lightly toasted
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 2 limes, quartered (8 pieces)
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- SWEET POTATOES
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 heaping tablespoons pepper jelly
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- SKEWERS: Combine first 12 ingredients in a food processor or blender; process until smooth.
- Transfer 1 cup to a small bowl to reserve for dipping sauce. Transfer the remainder to a zipper-top bag.
- Cut the pork into four strips lengthwise. Place in the zipper-top bag with the marinade, seal and refrigerate up to 4 hours, turning after 2 hours.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. Thread a lime quarter on each of four skewers then thread pork strips onto skewers, followed by another lime wedge.
- Place skewers on the grill, reduce heat to medium and cook 5-6 minutes per side or until cooked to at least 145 degrees.
- Serve with reserved dipping sauce. If the sauce has separated; stir to blend before serving.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs.
- SWEET POTATOES: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Toss potatoes with olive oil, salt and black pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
- While potatoes are roasting, combine pepper jelly and vinegar in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on medium in 15-second increments until melted and smooth.
- When the potatoes have roasted for 15 minutes, turn them over and pour glaze over the potatoes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees.
- Roast another 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. After plating, drizzle with excess glaze from the baking sheet. Serve with pork skewers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 885Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 42gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 412mgCarbohydrates: 91gFiber: 14gSugar: 45gProtein: 17g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.