Shredded Kale Sprout and Baby Beet Salad with Walnuts and Goat Cheese is an easy, elegant salad that’s perfect as part of a casual lunch or elegant dinner. A homemade balsamic vinaigrette pulls it all together for flavors that rock!
I’ve always loved Brussels sprouts–even as a kid. Then, the kale craze happened and I was happy to get right in sync with the whole movement because I have yet to meet a vegetable I don’t like. And dark, green leafy stuff like kale sprouts? Oh yeah!
What are kale sprouts?
Kale sprouts (aka “Kalettes” by their brand name) are a cross between red Russian kale and Brussels sprouts and look like a tiny head of kale.
Until recently, I had only been able to get them at Whole Foods. I twisted the arm of the store and produce managers at the Kroger where I shop and they agreed to keep these in stock for me.
Best of all, kids love them! I purchased a couple of bags to roast as a freebie for a client. I simply tossed them with olive oil, salt and black pepper and roasted them to where the outer leaves were super crispy, then set them on top of the stove to cool. Their 10-year-old daughter Isabelle asked to sample them and kept coming back for more. Love when kids love veggies!
Now about this Shredded Kale Sprout and Baby Beet Salad with Walnuts and Goat Cheese!
Shredded kale sprouts, red onion, pickled baby beets, toasted walnuts and goat cheese with a balsamic vinaigrette. Flavors that all rock together! I used baby pickled beets because it’s easier and I love the extra acidity.
If you can’t find kale sprouts, simply use chopped red leaf kale.
How to toast walnuts:
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread them out on a baking sheet and after about 8-10 minutes which is when you’ll be able to smell them, take them out.
- Burned nuts are the WORST and are totally unusable, so just watch them carefully.
Use a light olive oil or grapeseed oil for the dressing for this shredded kale sprout salad. An extra-virgin olive oil will taste heavy.
After whisking the balsamic vinaigrette together, taste it and see if it needs the honey. A good balsamic vinegar tastes super sweet to me so you may or may not want to use it.
Helpful Tools and Equipment to make Shredded Kale Sprout and Baby Beet Salad with Walnuts and Goat Cheese (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 2 (6-ounce) bags kale sprouts, stem end trimmed if necessary
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) jar pickled baby beets, drained, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese (about 1 cup), divided
- 1/3 cup light olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- SALAD: Shred kale sprouts in a food processor using the shredding blade or chop manually. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add red onion, baby beets, walnuts and about 3 ounces of the goat cheese. Toss to combine.
- DRESSING: Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pour over salad, mix well. Transfer to serving bowl and top with remaining goat cheese. Serve immediately.
MAKE AHEAD: Combine kale sprouts, onion, beets and walnuts in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Combine dressing ingredients and refrigerate. Just prior to serving, combine all ingredients per recipe, transfer to serving bowl and add cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories 447 Total Fat 41g Saturated Fat 8g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 31g Cholesterol 15mg Sodium 369mg Carbohydrates 14g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 3g Sugar 9g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 9g