Japanese Beef and Shishito Pepper Skewers are a quick and easy way to have an Asian-inspired dinner any night of the week!
Japanese Beef and Shishito Pepper Skewers are quick, easy, sophisticated and taste like they took more work than they actually did. They’re perfect for an easy Asian-inspired weeknight meal. It’s only the first weekend in September so there’s still plenty of grilling season left.
I’m a little late to the shishito pepper party because I couldn’t find them in my area. Now they seem to be everywhere!
What are shishito peppers?
Shishito peppers are an East Asian variety of pepper with a delicate crisp texture and generally mild, sweet flavor. I say generally because one out of every ten or so packs a spicy kick!
They’re available year-round, however, they’re at their best in late summer and early fall. You’ll find them in Asian markets and this time of year, in many grocery stores.
Blistering and blackening them in a hot pan is a popular way to cook them as it really brings out the flavor. Because of that, grilling is also a great way to enjoy them.
How to make Japanese Beef and Shishito Pepper Skewers:
- I used tenderloin here, but you could use ribeye or sirloin. Every so often, I buy a whole beef tenderloin when it’s on sale and have the butcher trim it and grind the trimmings for burgers. The price per pound will be much better than buying individual steaks and beef freezes very well.
- No need to marinate the beef at all. Simply combine a few basic Asian ingredients, simmer gently to melt the sugar and soften the ginger then drizzle over the beef when ready to serve.
- Simply thread the peppers onto skewers whole with the beef. I love that you can pick them up by the stem and pop them whole into your mouth. No cutting, chopping or prep involved!
- Grill to desired doneness! These Beef and Shishito Pepper Skewers work equally well on a grill pan for when you can’t grill outside.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve the remaining sauce on the side for dipping.
How easy is that? Enjoy!
Want more great grilling recipes? Be sure to check out my:
- Mojo Pork Skewers and Pepper Jelly Glazed Sweet Potatoes
- Grilled Turkish Ground Lamb Kebabs
- Chicken Bruschetta with Zucchini Noodles
- Grilled Marinated Skirt Steak with Peperonata
- Southwestern Spiced Grilled Pork Chops with Plum Jalapeno Salsa
Grilled Japanese Beef and Shishito Pepper Skewers
- ½ cup soy sauce or tamari - preferably low-sodium
- ½ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3-4 tablespoons light brown sugar - as needed, to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin - or four 8-ounce steaks, cut into 1 ½ to 2-inch pieces
- 20-24 shishito peppers
- Canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Toasted sesame seeds - for garnish
- Whisk soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar and ginger together in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat to dissolve the sugar and cook the ginger. Add the chili garlic sauce. Keep warm.
- Starting with a shishito pepper, thread the peppers and beef onto skewers, alternating them.
- Brush the skewers with oil and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill 4-5 minutes per side or to medium-rare / medium.
- Transfer the skewers to a platter. Drizzle with the sauce and garnish with sesame seeds. Serve remaining sauce on the side.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.