Pomegranate and Orange Glazed Salmon with Stir-Fried Vegetables is healthful, light and easy to make! Omega-rich salmon and fresh vegetables are topped with a slightly spicy fruity glaze!
Did you know that compared to New Year’s Day, the second-highest number of healthy eating resolutions are made the day after the Super Bowl?
No matter when you make your healthy eating resolution, this healthful and light Pomegranate and Orange Glazed Salmon with Stir-Fried Vegetables will help you keep it.
In this easy dinner for two, pomegranate juice, orange juice and soy sauce are reduced to a syrupy glaze. Chili garlic paste is then added for a touch of heat along with dark brown sugar which adds a touch more sweetness and a light note of molasses. Mwaaahhh! Perfect with salmon!
Wild salmon is always your best choice. The season for fresh wild salmon has passed. However, many fish counters carry wild salmon which has been thawed year-round. Typically, it’s labeled “previously frozen.” You can also find frozen wild salmon in the frozen seafood section year-round.
Try to avoid regular farmed salmon. Some farmed salmon such as Verlasso brand have earned a “Good Alternative” ranking from the Monterey Bay’s Seafood Watch program which promotes awareness of sustainable seafood choices.
I serve this beautiful Pomegranate and Orange Glazed Salmon over a colorful combination of stir-fried carrots, red bell pepper and snow pea pods splashed with a bit of soy sauce.
I suggest blanching the snow pea pods briefly before adding to the stir-fry because that will set the color.
How to blanch vegetables:
Blanching works well with any green vegetable. Simply get a pot of water boiling, add a generous amount of salt, drop the green vegetable into the salted, boiling water, then remove after it turns a bright green (which only takes seconds). Immediately drain and immerse into ice water to stop the cooking process.
If you wish to add a side dish to Pomegranate and Orange Glazed Salmon with Stir-Fried Vegetables, brown rice or quinoa would be perfect!
Helpful tools and equipment to make Pomegranate and Orange-Glazed Salmon with Stir-Fried Vegetables (Affiliate Links):
- 6 ounces snow pea pods, stem ends trimmed and strings removed
- 3/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 3/4 cup orange juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided, plus more for baking dish
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless salmon fillets
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced diagonally
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Orange slices, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare an ice bath. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add salt, then drop in thhe snow pea pods. Cook 10-15 seconds, drain and immediately immerse into the ice bath. Drain again and pat dry. Set aside.
- Combine pomegranate juice, orange juice and 2 tablespoons soy sauce in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on medium-low 20-25 minutes or until reduced to approximately 1/3 cup with a syrup consistency. Stir in chili garlic paste and dark brown sugar. Set aside.
- Lightly oil a glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil. Season salmon fillets with salt and black pepper.
- Place salmon fillets in the pan and cook until nicely browned, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish. Pour glaze over salmon. Transfer to oven and bake approximately 15 minutes until cooked through to 145 degrees or desired doneness, brushing once with glaze in the pan.
- While fish is baking, heat remaining oil in sauté pan.
- Add carrots and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add red bell pepper and cook 2 more minutes. Add snow pea pods and cook 1 minute or until just heated through. Add remaining soy sauce.
- To serve, place fish over vegetables and drizzle with any remaining glaze in the pan as desired. Garnish with orange slices.
Amount Per Serving Calories 504Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 72mgSodium 1812mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 5gSugar 32gProtein 32g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.