Roasted Beet Salad with Walnuts, Goat Cheese and Honey Balsamic Dressing is a classic, elegant salad perfect for any occasion!
Here’s a super simple, classic salad that’s perfect for any occasion!
Roasted Beet Salad with Walnuts, Goat Cheese and Honey Balsamic Dressing is perfect any time you’re entertaining or just want to up your side salad game for a dinner at home.
This dressing is our go-to salad dressing and we always have some in our refrigerator. It’s sooo good!
Best of all, if you don’t want to go through the trouble of roasting the beets, cooked beets are now readily available in the produce department. Yay for when you need to pull together something beautiful like this roasted beet salad but are short on time.
How to make Roasted Beet Salad with Walnuts, Goat Cheese and Honey Balsamic Dressing:
- Try to use small to medium-sized beets for this recipe.
- Trim the tops from the beets and scrub them well. (Save those tops for a salad or a quick saute!)
- Place in a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil then pour some water in the bottom of the pan.
- Cover with foil and roast for at least 45 minutes to an hour. Depending upon their size, they may take longer.
- The beets are cooked when you can easily pierce them with a paring knife.
- Let cool and peel.
- While the beets are roasting, whisk together the honey balsamic dressing. The recipe makes more than you’ll need for this salad but you’ll love having extra for another salad.
- You’ll need:
- Good balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Canola oil
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and black pepper
- Whisk those ingredients together and set the dressing aside.
- Gather and prep the remaining ingredients:
- Slice the beets
- Red onion
- Walnuts (toasted if desired)
- Crumbled goat cheese
- Fresh arugula
- Combine the beets and red onion with some of the dressing and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes. You don’t have to do this, but letting the onion sit in the dressing will soften it up and take away some of the bite.
- Assemble the salad:
- Place the fresh arugula on a platter.
- Top with the marinated beets and onion followed by the walnuts and goat cheese.
- Drizzle with additional dressing.
That’s it! Roasted Beet Salad with Walnuts, Goat Cheese and Honey Balsamic Dressing is super elegant and perfect for your next dinner party, holiday dinner or special dinner at home!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, absolutely. Be sure to purchase the ones that are plain and not flavored.
Yes, again. Roast the beets up to three days ahead and refrigerate peeled or unpeeled. The dressing will keep for 5-7 days in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, just toss the beets and onions with some of the dressing and let stand as directed.
For more delicious beet recipes, be sure to try my:
- Shredded Kale Sprout and Baby Beet Salad with Walnuts and Goat Cheese
- Roasted Hasselback Beets with Dill Dressing
- Quick Pickled Beets with Dill
- Massaged Kale, Beet and Blueberry Salad with Honey – Balsamic Dressing
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 3 bunches of small to medium beets (8-10 beets), tops trimmed and scrubbed -OR- 3 small packages cooked beets, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced vertically
- Baby salad greens such as spinach, mixed greens or arugula
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted if desired
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- HONEY BALSAMIC DRESSING
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- SALAD: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rub the outside of each beet with some of the olive oil then place beets in a roasting pan.
- Pour ½ cup of water into roasting pan. Cover with foil. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until beets can be easily pierced with a knife. Let cool, peel and slice.
- In a bowl, combine sliced, cooled beets and red onion. Drizzle with ½ cup of the dressing and toss to coat. (Reserve remaining dressing for another purpose or pass separately.) Let stand at room temperature for 15-20 minutes so the beets absorb some of the dressing and the onions soften up slightly.
- Place greens on a platter.
- Top with beet/onion combination, then sprinkle walnuts and goat cheese over the top. Serve immediately.
- HONEY-BALSAMIC DRESSING: While the beets are roasting, whisk together ingredients for the dressing. Refrigerate until needed.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 611Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 44gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 16gProtein: 11g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.