Simply Pumpkin Muffins are easy to make, deliciously light and uncomplicated with all the fall pumpkin flavor you love!
This is not just another pumpkin muffin recipe! No, wait. Stick with me.
This is a no-fuss, easy-to-pull-together pumpkin muffin recipe that’s super light, low in fat, moist and springy beyond belief and they await any seasonal embellishment you wish to bestow upon them.
I don’t tend to bake very much. If baked goods are around our house, I will EAT said baked goods. It’s hard enough keeping my weight down as a chef without having to battle temptation from cookies, cakes, pies, etc. This is the reason you don’t see many baked good or dessert recipes here.
However, these light pumpkin muffins are worth sharing with you because I don’t feel as guilty enjoying them.
I found this recipe on HGTV.com a long, long time ago when the network was still in its infancy. At one time they included recipes. I have probably made these pumpkin muffins a thousand times over the course of my personal chef career; they are THAT loved by my clientele and their kids.
They’re easy for me to do in a client’s kitchen because they don’t require a mixer, melting butter or very many steps.
Kids love them because they simply taste good and they don’t have any embellishments such as dried fruit, nuts, streusel toppings, cream cheese frosting, etc. Those are all very lovely, but you know kids…..
You are free to add all those things but for now, we’ll just call these “Simply Pumpkin Muffins.”
The only fat in these Simply Pumpkin Muffins is from 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil and one egg yolk that is distributed throughout 24 muffins. They’re also dairy-free!
You’ll notice the baking time range of 18 to 25 minutes which is a pretty large spread. Because I have baked these so many times in so many different kitchens with so many different ovens, the baking time has varied. Check them at 18 minutes. My oven takes up to 25 minutes.
These muffins are done when the top appears “cracked,” they spring back to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Mwaahhhh! Simply Pumpkin Muffins…. Because we’re heading into that time of year where we all need a little “simple.”
Pumpkin lovers! Be sure to try these other pumpkin recipes:
- Pumpkin Soup with Marsala and Mascarpone
- Pumpkin, Chipotle and White Cheddar Grits with Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp
- Pumpkin Ravioli with Sage Brown Butter, Parmesan and Pecans
Helpful tools and equipment to make Simply Pumpkin Muffins (Affiliate Links):
- 4 egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 can (15-ounce) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper muffin cups.
- Beat egg whites and egg until blended. Add sugar, applesauce, pumpkin and oil and whisk until blended.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour through pumpkin pie spice in a separate bowl. Add to pumpkin mixture and stir until dry ingredients are incorporated, being careful not to overmix.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature then store in an airtight container.
Serving Size1 muffin
Amount Per Serving Calories 147Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 9mgSodium 207mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 1gSugar 18gProtein 2g