Simply Pumpkin Muffins are easy to make, deliciously light and uncomplicated with all the fall pumpkin flavor you love!
About this recipe:
I don't tend to bake very much. If baked goods are around our house, I will EAT said baked goods. It's hard enough keeping my weight down as a chef without having to battle temptation from cookies, cakes, pies, etc.
However, these light pumpkin muffins are worth sharing with you because I don't feel as guilty enjoying them.
There are a crazy number of pumpkin muffin recipes out there and all probably wonderful. However, this is not just another pumpkin muffin recipe! This is a no-fuss, easy-to-pull-together pumpkin muffin recipe that's super light, low in fat, moist and springy beyond belief and they await any seasonal embellishment you wish to bestow upon them.
I have probably made these pumpkin muffins a thousand times over the course of my personal chef career; they are THAT loved by my clientele and their kids.
How to make Simply Pumpkin Muffins:
Simply Pumpkin Muffins are easy for me to do in a client's kitchen because they don't require a mixer, melting butter or very many other steps. Because they're so easy, they're a great recipe for getting your kids involved.
- Gather up the ingredients:
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Canned pumpkin
- Canola or vegetable oil
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Line muffin tins with paper muffin cups.
- Beat together the egg and egg whites.
- Add the sugar, applesauce, pumpkin and oil and stir to combine.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl and add to the wet ingredients.
- Stir just until everything is combined, being careful to not overmix.
- Fill the muffin cups.
- Bake! You'll notice the baking time range of 18 to 25 minutes which is a pretty large spread. Because I have baked these so many times in so many different kitchens with so many different ovens, the baking time has varied. Check them at 18 minutes. My oven takes up to 25 minutes.
- These muffins are done when the top appears "cracked," they spring back to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Mwaahhhh! Simply Pumpkin Muffins.... Because we're heading into that time of year where we all need a little "simple."
Pumpkin lovers! Be sure to try these other pumpkin recipes:
- Pumpkin Soup with Marsala and Mascarpone
- Pumpkin, Chipotle and White Cheddar Grits with Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp
- Pumpkin Ravioli with Sage Brown Butter, Parmesan and Pecans
Simply Pumpkin Muffins
- 4 egg whites
- 1 whole large egg
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 can (15-ounce) pumpkin puree - (not pumpkin pie mix)
- ¼ cup canola - or vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper muffin cups.
- Beat egg whites and egg until blended. Add sugar, applesauce, pumpkin and oil and whisk until blended.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour through pumpkin pie spice in a separate bowl. Add to pumpkin mixture and stir until dry ingredients are incorporated, being careful not to overmix.
- Fill muffin tins ¾ full.
- Bake for 18 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature then store in an airtight container.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.
Deb Garner says
Perfect pumpkin muffins with just the right spice! I top with bourbon walnut flavored sugar and sometimes add in mini chocolate chips. Thank you for another great recipe!
Hi, Deb, Thanks so very much and so happy you love these! I've been making these for almost as long as I've been a personal chef and everyone LOVES them. And yes, they're perfect for dressing up in numerous ways. Thanks again!!
Can’t tell you how many times I have made these over the years since you gave me the recipe. This recipe and the balsamic vinaigrette are my two favorite recipes from you!
Thanks so very much, Martha! Great to hear from you and so glad those recipes always work for you. If you haven't tried my Roasted Beet Salad, that balsamic vinaigrette is perfect with it. Do give it a try. Thanks again!
Kim @ Three Olives Branch says
These look wonderful! I love simple flavors and dishes,Yum!
J @ Bless Her Heart Y'all says
Okay these sound so simple to make and they look absolutely amazing! I am so in!
They're so simple even I can make them! 🙂
Kathryn @ FoodieGirlChicago says
These look great! Pumpkin muffins are one of my fall favorites!
These look great, Carol. I love that there's not a whole bunch of spice in the muffins. Pumpkin recipes are sometimes too spicy so you can't even taste the pumpkin.
Thanks, Eileen! I totally agree!
Nicoletta @sugarlovespices says
Beautiful muffins, Carol! I love so much that they are simply pumpkin muffins. Sometimes we just need to go back to keeping it simple to taste the main ingredient without any embellishment, or too many add ins!
Thanks, Nicoletta! They are wonderful and soooo easy!