Baked Spaghetti Frittata with Broccoli Rabe, Bacon and Three Cheeses is a delicious combination of flavor and texture! Perfect for brunch, lunch or supper.
Ever since purchasing Michele Scicolone‘s new cookbook, The Italian Vegetable Cookbook, I’ve not been able to get the Baked Spaghetti Frittata with Broccoli Rabe and Smoked Mozzarella that’s in it off my mind.
As you may recall, I recently gave you my impression of it in my New in My Obsession Library feature.
This unusual frittata seemed perfect for a Sunday brunch. So, with today being Sunday, I decided I’d fulfill my longing for it.
Folks, it’s a keeper!
Not one to ever leave a recipe alone, I had my way with it as I didn’t have all the ingredients. Smoked mozzarella can be difficult to find in my area, but I had smoked Gouda so used it instead. I also added some ricotta to my rendition to lighten the “egginess.” I’m a bit of a Parmigian0-Reggiano freak so used that instead of the Romano called for.
If you’re not familiar with broccoli rabe, it’s a green cruciferous vegetable that’s on the bitter side. You might also see it labeled as raab or rapini. It forms tiny buds that resemble broccoli, but will not form a large head. If bitter greens aren’t your thing, substitute Swiss chard or even mature spinach.
I happen to love all greens! Kale, collards or turnip greens will also work well!
Then the bacon. Everything’s better with bacon so need I say more?
This is a great dish for any meal, especially brunch or lunch. For something to serve on the side, I think it’s longing for creamy tomato soup. I wouldn’t recommend assembling it ahead of time as pasta tends to absorb the egg mixture rather quickly.
If you have approximately six ounces of leftover pasta, this recipe is easily halved.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 12 ounces dried spaghetti
- 1 pound broccoli rabe or other greens such as Swiss chard, tough stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded smoked cheese such as Mozzarella or Gouda, divided
- 3/4 cup freshly grated good Parmesan or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with some of the olive oil.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt and cook pasta until al dente. Drain in a colander and immediately rinse with cold water, drain again and toss with a tablespoon of olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli rabe and cook, tossing with tongs, until just wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir. Let cool.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add ricotta and beat until fairly smooth. Add cooked spaghetti, broccoli rabe, black pepper to taste, 1 cup shredded smoked cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan, bacon, crushed red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix well.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until heated through and spaghetti is starting to brown in places. Cut into squares and serve.