Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Brown Butter and Almonds is a lovely, low-stress side dish you’re going to love!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Brown Butter and Almonds.
Roast these babies until lightly browned, then simmer some butter until browned. Toast some almonds until lightly browned. See where I’m going with this?
Roasted, toasted Brussels sprout goodness and a lovely, low-stress side dish perfect for any gathering!
Tips for making brown butter:
Brown butter is simply butter that is cooked beyond the melting stage until it browns.
- Start with unsalted butter, place in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and let it cook a bit. It may appear nothing is happening at first but water in the butter is being cooked off.
- The butter will begin to change color to a light golden brown and you’ll begin to see browned bits forming at the bottom of the pan. These are milk solids, which you want to leave behind when drizzling the brown butter over the Brussels sprouts.
Tip for cutting Brussels sprouts in half:
Here’s a quick safety tip when cutting Brussels sprouts in half I learned the hard way.
- Wear a glove on the hand you’re halving the Brussels sprouts with. A fingertip cot on your thumb (used to cover bandages) also works well.
- If you don’t protect your thumb you’ll notice it’s getting nicked up from the knife. It’s not enough to draw blood, just enough to make your thumb sensitive for a few days.
How to toast almonds:
It doesn’t take very long to toast the almonds.
- Toast the almonds in a dry non-stick skillet and move them around frequently.
- When they are light golden in color, they’re done. Keep an eye on them because they can burn–quickly!
- Immediately transfer to a plate or small bowl. If left in the hot pan, they’ll continue to toast.
Hope you’ll enjoy this lovely, easy side dish of Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Brown Butter and Almonds!
Helpful Tools and Equipment to make Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Brown Butter and Almonds (Affiliate Links):
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread Brussels sprouts out on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and black pepper to taste. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned and just tender.
- Meanwhile, place almonds in a dry, non-stick skillet. Place over medium-low heat and gently toast until just beginning to change color, about 3-4 minutes. Be careful not to burn the almonds. Set aside.
- Heat butter over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until it begins to change color--approximately 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Transfer Brussels sprouts and almonds to serving the dish. Drizzle with browned butter, leaving browned milk solids behind in the saucepan.
Amount Per Serving Calories 313Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 46mgSodium 112mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 5gSugar 3gProtein 6g