Seared Sea Scallops with Spicy Bacon Sun-Dried Tomato Alfredo Sauce and Tagliatelle is easy and perfect for an Italian-inspired romantic dinner for two!
The inspiration behind this recipe:
Lately, I’ve been in an Italian frame of mind. My husband and I are contemplating a trip to Europe at some point this year that will include Italy.
I’ve been extremely fortunate to have traveled to Italy twice and have been yearning to go back. Italy really gets into your soul!
One trip to Italy was a culinary tour with a group of personal chefs. We cooked, we laughed, we ate!
The other trip was with my husband and we missed seeing a lot. For one, we were in Florence and never got to see Michelangelo’s David. We didn’t get tickets ahead of time and the line to get tickets was several blocks long.
In Rome, we didn’t see the Sistine Chapel. We got to St. Peter’s Square just in time for the square to close early in the afternoon because it was already too crowded.
Ugh. Only us. We did, however, agree that not seeing these two historical treasures gave us reason to make a trip back. This may be the year!
So, onto this wonderful Seared Sea Scallops with Spicy Bacon Sun-Dried Tomato Alfredo Sauce! I used purchased Alfredo sauce as the base for this lovely dish, added sun-dried tomatoes, a little bacon and crushed red pepper flakes for a touch of heat.
Tips for purchasing and prepping sea scallops:
Sea scallops, once you get the hang of preparing them, are one of the easiest and quickest seafood items to prepare. Just make sure you:
- Use sea scallops that do not have any added ingredients or preservatives (also known as “dry” packed).
- Remove any connective muscle still attached to the scallop as it can become tough when cooked.
- Rinse briefly to remove any grit.
- Pat them dry before searing.
This is a super easy recipe and the sauce comes together quickly! After cooking the bacon and the pasta, simply place the Alfredo sauce in a saucepan, add fresh garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, some of the bacon and crushed red pepper flakes. Add the pasta back to the sauce then sear the scallops….
…And this easy, beautiful seared sea scallop dish is DONE!
Easy enough for a weeknight, special enough for date night!
For more sea scallop recipes, be sure to try my:
- Sweet Corn Risotto with Seared Sea Scallops and Basil Salsa Verde
- Pan-Seared Sea Scallops with Watermelon Tomato Salsa
- Seared Sea Scallops with Smoky Sweet Corn Puree
- Pistachio Encrusted Sea Scallops with Champagne Risotto and Roasted Asparagus
- Seared Sea Scallops with Tomato Red Onion and Balsamic Salsa
- Seared Sea Scallops with Jalapeno Brown Butter and Mango Buttermilk Risotto
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 4 strips of bacon, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh or dried tagliatelle or fettuccine
- 1 jar (15-ounce) Alfredo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, patted dry, coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 large sea scallops, rinsed and dried
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the bacon in a skillet or saute pan until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in the pan.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente per package directions. Drain.
- Place the Alfredo sauce in a small saucepan. Add the garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer. Add all but a few pieces of the bacon to the sauce, reserving the remainder for garnish.
- Place cooked pasta in the sauce and toss to coat; keep warm.
- Season sea scallops with salt and black pepper. Heat reserved bacon drippings back up over medium-high heat. Place scallops in the pan and sear 2-3 minutes on the first side and 1 minute on the other side. Remove from heat.
- To serve: Place equal servings of the pasta in bowls. Top with 4 scallops each. Garnish with reserved bacon pieces, freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 1384mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 28g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.