Slow Cooker Boneless Beef Short Ribs Bourguignon is the easiest way to make this classic French wine country dish!
Before you say, “OMG, Beef Bourguignon….! Isn’t that some fancy French dish?” Let me just say “Yes, it is, but I guarantee you can make it better than the French.”
No doubt them’s fightin’ words to someone of French origin.
I was in the French wine country this past fall and had the worst Beef Bourguignon ever!
Since then, I’ve been wanting a GOOD Beef Bourguignon and friends… This is it! Slow Cooker Boneless Beef Short Ribs Bourguignon!
Not gonna lie. This isn’t the traditional way to make Beef Bourguignon. After having what I had in France, I’m all about doing it my own way and this is the EASIEST way to make a French-inspired winter comfort dish your family and friends will love!
How to make Slow Cooker Boneless Beef Short Ribs Bourguignon:
- Start with boneless beef short ribs. I know… it’s an oxymoron. Boneless ribs? Actually, “boneless” beef short ribs are cut from the chuck and consist of rib meat already separated from the bone.
- Next, cook a little bacon.
- Then, brown 2 to 3 pounds of boneless beef short ribs in a skillet or saute pan with some of the drippings with olive oil.
- Place them in a slow cooker with copious amounts of red wine, some beef broth, tomato paste, carrots, garlic and herbs.
- Let it all simmer away until the boneless beef short ribs are ridiculously tender.
- Create a slurry with flour and some of the hot liquid to thicken the gravy.
- Saute the mushrooms in a little butter then add them to the slow cooker.
- Let the meat rest a little bit before serving.
- Friends! May I just let the next few photos speak for themselves?
Slow Cooker Boneless Beef Short Ribs Bourguignon is a totally company-worthy dish made with an inexpensive cut of beef. So rich tasting, so easy and the perfect winter comfort food!
With my next post, I’ll be sharing a fabulous Cauliflower White Bean Puree these Slow Cooker Boneless Beef Short Ribs Bourguignon are perfect with!
Want more great beef short rib recipes? Try these:
- Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs Barbacoa with Cilantro – Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Cabernet Braised Beef Short Ribs with Cauliflower – Leek Puree
- Korean Braised Beef Short Ribs
- Stout-Braised Beef Short Ribs and Colcannon
Helpful tools and equipment (Affiliate Links):
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 5-6 slices bacon, diced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 pounds boneless beef short ribs (5-6 ribs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bottle (750mm) dry red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 bag (12-ounce) frozen pearl onions, thawed under hot running water
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (8-ounce) cremini mushrooms, quartered
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Place bacon in a skillet and heat skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon, adjusting heat as necessary until the bacon is is crisp.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings and refresh with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Generously season ribs with salt and black pepper. Continuing on medium-high heat, place half the ribs in the skillet. Brown well on both sides. Transfer to a slow cooker. Repeat with remaining ribs.
- Add wine, broth, tomato paste, bay leaves, thyme, carrots, garlic and bacon to slow cooker.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on HIGH heat or up to 8 hours on LOW heat.
- Approximately half an hour before ribs are done, add thawed frozen pearl onions. Place flour in a small bowl. Remove 4-6 tablespoons of the hot liquid from the slow cooker. Stir 1 tablespoon of the hot liquid at a time into the flour until you have a thick paste.
- Add the slurry (liquid and flour mixture) to the slow cooker and gently stir it in.
- Cook uncovered on HIGH for 20 more minutes or until thickened and pearl onions are heated through.
- Heat butter in a small skillet or saute pan. Add the mushrooms and cook over high heat or until tender and they release their juices. Add to slow cooker and gently stir.
- Shut slow cooker off and let stand for 10 minutes or so. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, cauliflower puree or polenta.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 733Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 592mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 49g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.