Whole Grain Zucchini Jalapeno Fritters are the traditional zucchini fritter reinvented with better-for-you whole-grain flour, some kick with fresh jalapeno and zippy Cilantro – Lime Sour Cream on the side!
It was just one of those weeks!
Oh, nothing tragic–thankfully–but it was just one of those weeks where, through a series of mishaps, the universe was trying to tell me something.
One of the messages I got this week was to be more grateful. It’s amazing how your outlook and attitude transform when you adopt gratitude as an attitude! So, from the bottom of my heart, I am very grateful that you’re here, reading this and that you bothered to check out From A Chef’s Kitchen.
Thank you for reading, following, etc. If you’re just stopping by for the first time–WELCOME!
Now, let’s be grateful for zucchini!
The inspiration behind this recipe:
To me, the summer zucchini glut is kind of fun. It’s a culinary challenge to come up with a new killer zucchini recipe like these Whole Grain Zucchini Jalapeno Fritters!
Here is a new spin on the zucchini fritter made with whole-grain flour, kicked up with some fresh jalapeno and served with a zingy cilantro-lime sour cream on the side!
Because I had not used our spiralizer in a while, I thought I’d use it rather than shred the zucchini (which is generally what you would do for zucchini fritters). Whether you spiralize or shred the zucchini is up to you; the result is going to be pretty much the same.
How to prep zucchini for Whole Grain Zucchini Jalapeno Fritters:
- Zucchini contains a lot of water. After spiralizing or shredding it, salt it and let it drain in a colander for at least 30 minutes.
- Afterward, give it a good squeeze. You’ll be amazed at how much water is released and how much it shrinks!
Pro frying tips:
- When frying these zucchini jalapeno fritters (or things such as crab/fish cakes), always flip them AWAY from you to prevent from being splashed with hot oil!
- Drain on a wire rack–not on paper towels. Although the paper towels will absorb some of the oil, the fritters will get soggy.
This cilantro and lime sour cream pairs perfectly with these fritters and whips up in about a minute with an immersion blender.
That’s it! Crispy, golden and…..zippy! Mmmwaahhh!
For more great zucchini recipes, be sure to try my:
- Chicken Zucchini Feta Burgers with Jalapeno Tzatziki
- Four-Cheese Strata with Zucchini and Tomatoes
- Layered Zucchini Corn Casserole
- Cream Cheese and Artichoke Stuffed Tomatoes and Grilled Zucchini
- Shrimp Pad Thai with Zucchini Noodles
- Zucchini Corn Cakes with Buttermilk Basil Sauce
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 3 ½ to 4 pounds zucchini, spiralized or shredded
- 2 bunches scallions, white and light green part only, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded if desired, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- Canola or vegetable oil, for frying (at least ½ cup)
- CILANTRO LIME SOUR CREAM
- 1 cup sour cream (regular or light)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 large lime, juiced
- FRITTERS: Place spiralized or shredded zucchini and scallion in a colander. Toss with salt and let drain for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Squeeze excess moisture from the zucchini with your hands and transfer to a bowl. Season with black pepper as desired.
- Add jalapeno, garlic, eggs and flour and mix well.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, place scant ⅓-cup measures of the zucchini mixture into the hot oil. Press the mixture down to form an even, flat cake.
- Fry 3-4 minutes on the first side, flip and fry 2-3 minutes on the other side. (Reduce heat to medium if fritters are browning too quickly.) Drain on a wire rack.
- Repeat until all the zucchini mixture is cooked.
- CILANTRO LIME SOUR CREAM: Combine all ingredients in a deep bowl or beaker. Using an immersion blender, process until smooth. Serve with fritters.
FREEZER-FRIENDLY! Make as directed and freeze on a baking sheet. Then, place in a zipper-top freezer bag and remove fritters as needed. No need to thaw. Just place in the oven at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes to heat through.
Serving Size:2 fritters
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 2177mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 11g
The nutritional information above is computer-generated and only an estimate. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.