Curry Roasted Carrots with Honey Browned Butter will add some color to your life!
Here’s to color!
The painters just left. After our “flood,” we had to change the wall color in some of our rooms because the floor that we chose is WAY more red than anticipated.
Except now the gray I selected to go with the cherry floors which has the utilitarian name of “Functional Gray,” looks lavender.
I was happy with my home the way it was with gently-used floors and 12-year-old painted walls with colors I loved with fingerprints from the grandkids. It was all cozy and comfortable and if something got nicked or chipped, it wasn’t a big deal.
Now I’m looking at flaws left by the floor installers and hating the paint color I had to hurry to select.
Still trying to keep it all in perspective.
Remember when carrots were just orange? Now you can find bunches of these beauties in lovely pale cream to almost golden, purple and bright, tomatoey red. Loving these colors!
Add a browned butter infused with honey to curry roasted carrots and…. baby!
Browned butter is simply butter that is cooked beyond the melting stage until it browns. Start with unsalted butter, place in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and let it cook a bit. It may appear nothing is happening at first, however, water in the butter is being cooked off.
The butter will begin to change color to a light golden brown and you’ll begin to see browned bits forming at the bottom of the pan. (These are milk solids which ultimately you don’t want to keep.)
Let the butter settle down a little bit so those browned bits fall to the bottom. After a minute or two, carefully drain the butter into a small bowl, leaving the milk solids behind. Whisk in the butter and drizzle it over the roasted carrots and….
Mwwaaaahhh!!! Flavor! Color! Thinking any one of these colors would look better than my new gray (um lavender) walls……
- 3 bunches baby carrots, one each yellow, orange and purple
- olive oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, hot or mild
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove tops from carrots and reserve for another purpose if desired. Toss with olive oil, curry powder and salt and black pepper to taste. Spread out onto a baking sheet and roast 15-20 minutes or to desired doneness.
- Meawhile, make honey browned butter.
- Heat butter over medium-high heat. When it starts to simmer and bubble, reduce heat and cook until it begins to brown and the milk solids start to stick to the pan--approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Let the butter settle down a bit so any browned bits fall to the bottom.
- Carefully drain browned butter off into a small bowl. Whisk in honey and season with salt if desired.
- Transfer carrots to a serving dish. Drizzle butter over carrots and serve immediately.