Attention sweet potato lovers! Here’s a spicy, crunchy, and delicious way to enjoy your favorite root vegetable! These Oven-Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges with Cilantro Cashew Sauce are easy to make and over-the-top with flavor! Perfect with Thai Red Curry Chicken Legs!
Why This Recipe is a Keeper!
If you’re looking for a new way to enjoy sweet potatoes, look no further!
These oven-roasted sweet potato wedges pairs perfectly with the citrusy, spicy flavor of this cilantro-based sauce. Serranos add heat, fish sauce adds umami while cashews add a delightful crunch factor to the creamy interior of the sweet potatoes for a side dish that’s practically a meal!
This recipe is:
- Ready in about an hour.
- The Cilantro Cashew Sauce can be made ahead with the cashews added right before serving.
- Crazy flavorful!
Let’s make it!
How to Make Oven-Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges with Cilantro Cashew Sauce:
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this recipe along with how to prep. See the sweet potato recipe card below for the exact quantities.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions:
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are available all year round but their peak season is from late summer to early winter. When buying them, look for smooth skins with no discoloration that are firm and solid. Choose orange or red-skinned sweet potatoes, which tend to be more moist and less starchy than other varieties. I used medium sweet potatoes.
- Serrano Chiles: Serrano peppers are hot chile peppers named for the mountain ridges in Mexico where they originated. They’re second to the jalapeno pepper in popularity there but are hotter than jalapenos. They are also used in Southeast Asian cuisine. Most of the heat is in the seeds and membrane, so remove them if you don’t want that much spice. I highly recommend you wear gloves when handling serranos and be careful not to touch your eyes or other sensitive areas.
- Fish Sauce: Fish sauce is a condiment made from fish that has been coated in salt and fermented for up to two years. It’s very popular in Southeast Asian cuisine like Thai. Vegan Alternative: Use soy sauce, mushroom broth or this Vegan Fish Sauce from Vegan24.
- Cashews: You may also use peanuts.
- Gather and prep all the ingredients.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Start by making the Cilantro Cashew Sauce. Place all the ingredients EXCEPT the cashews into a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl then stir in the chopped cashews. (They won’t soften up all that quickly.) Set aside.
- MAKE AHEAD: The Cilantro Cashew Sauce can be made one day ahead. Refrigerate until needed. Don’t add the cashews until ready to serve.
- Peel the potatoes if desired and cut them into 6 to 8 wedges each, keeping them as uniform as possible.
- Place the wedges on a cast iron baking pan such as the one shown below or line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Flip then roast another 20 minutes or until cooked through and lightly browned.
- MAKE AHEAD: The potatoes can be roasted one day ahead of time to this point. Be careful to not overcook or over brown them. Refrigerate until needed.
- That’s it!
- Serve the oven-roasted sweet potato wedges immediately topped with the spicy, savory, crunchy Cilantro – Cashew Sauce!
- Enjoy!! The sauce is also amazing over a baked sweet potato, too!
Chef Tips and Tricks:
- When doing any type of potato wedges recipe, don’t crowd the potatoes. If crowded, they steam instead. Make sure one of the cut sides is touching the foil.
- To speed up the roasting process, cut the sweet potatoes into cubes and toss them with a spatula or large spoon. You can also do sweet potato fries.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, absolutely! Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees. Arrange the sweet potato wedges in the basket or on the rack. Make sure they’re not touching. Cook for 8-10 minutes, flip then cook another 4-5 minutes. You may need to cook them in batches.
Yes, you can. Be careful to not overcook or overly brown the sweet potatoes when roasting the first time. To reheat, place on a baking sheet and reheat at 350 degrees.
Yes! Whether you peel sweet potatoes is entirely up to you. Be sure to scrub them well if you intend to. Sweet potato skins are rich in fiber to increase feelings of fullness and manage blood sugar and cholesterol, support a healthy gut and nutrients and antioxidants to prevent chronic disease. Source: Healthline.com
Serve these oven-roasted sweet potato wedges with:
- Vietnamese Beef Lettuce Wraps with Rice Noodles and Cucumber Relish
- Vietnamese Chicken Salad with Spicy Lime Ginger Dressing
- Sheet Pan Thai Sweet Chili – Lime Baked Fish with Garlic Broccolini
More easy sweet potato recipes!
- Mexican Sweet Potato Wedges with Avocado Cilantro Sour Cream
- Sweet Potato Latkes with Gochujang Mayonnaise
- Sweet Potato Souffle
- Vegetarian Sheet Pan Quesadillas
Get all my potato side dish recipes here! Potato Side Dish Recipes – From A Chef’s Kitchen
Join the FROM A CHEF’S KITCHEN MAILING LIST to get all the latest posts and more!
Oven-Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges with Cilantro Cashew Sauce
Click to Rate!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into 6-8 wedges each
- 4 tablespoons olive oil - divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small bunch cilantro - with stems
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 scallion - white and light green part only, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1 serrano pepper - or jalapeno, seeded if desired, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews - finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss the potato wedges with 2 tablespoons oil and season with salt and black pepper. Place on a cast iron baking pan or a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil or parchment.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Flip the potatoes and roast another 20 minutes or until cooked through and lightly browned.
- While the potatoes are roasting, combine the remaining olive oil, cilantro, lime juice, scallion, garlic, serrano (or jalapeno) pepper and fish sauce in a food processor. Process until finely chopped.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the chopped cashews.
- Serve the sauce with the potato wedges.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you’re using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.